U.S. Congress Invites Pope Francis
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 14, 2014 3:35 PM EST
U.S. House Speaker John Boehner has invited Pope Francis to the U.S. Congress. If the latter accepts it, he becomes the first spiritual leader ever to address the members of the U.S. parliament.
Pope Francis waves as he leads
Pope Francis waves as he leads the Angelus prayer from the window of the Apostolic palace in Saint Peter's Square at the Vatican March 9, 2014. REUTERS/Max Rossi
Mr Boehner said in a statement that millions of Americans have been inspired with Pope Francis and his pastoral manner and servant leadership. "He has always challenged all people to lead lives of mercy, forgiveness, solidarity, and humble service."
"These principles are among the fundamentals of the American idea," Mr Boehner said, "and though our nation sometimes fails to live up to these principles, at our best, we give them new life as we seek the common good."
Vatican had yet to respond to the invite, Mr Boehner's office said.
President Barack Obama is set to meet Pope Francis at Vatican on March 27. The spiritual pontiff however had already cleared from the start that he would like to focus on the Holy Land, Asia, and then Africa for his international visits.
The invitation did not mention a specific date, but proponents hoped the Pope would consider and visit in time for the global conference on families in Philadelphia in September.
"His tireless call for the protection of the most vulnerable among us -? the ailing, the disadvantaged, the unemployed, the impoverished, the unborn -? has awakened hearts on every continent," Mr Boehner said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid