U.S. Congress Invites Pope Francis
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 14, 2014 3:35 PM EST
U.S. House Speaker John Boehner has invited Pope Francis to the U.S. Congress. If the latter accepts it, he becomes the first spiritual leader ever to address the members of the U.S. parliament.
Pope Francis waves as he leads
Pope Francis waves as he leads the Angelus prayer from the window of the Apostolic palace in Saint Peter's Square at the Vatican March 9, 2014. REUTERS/Max Rossi
Mr Boehner said in a statement that millions of Americans have been inspired with Pope Francis and his pastoral manner and servant leadership. "He has always challenged all people to lead lives of mercy, forgiveness, solidarity, and humble service."
"These principles are among the fundamentals of the American idea," Mr Boehner said, "and though our nation sometimes fails to live up to these principles, at our best, we give them new life as we seek the common good."
Vatican had yet to respond to the invite, Mr Boehner's office said.
President Barack Obama is set to meet Pope Francis at Vatican on March 27. The spiritual pontiff however had already cleared from the start that he would like to focus on the Holy Land, Asia, and then Africa for his international visits.
The invitation did not mention a specific date, but proponents hoped the Pope would consider and visit in time for the global conference on families in Philadelphia in September.
"His tireless call for the protection of the most vulnerable among us -? the ailing, the disadvantaged, the unemployed, the impoverished, the unborn -? has awakened hearts on every continent," Mr Boehner said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- Porsche, Pope, Sistine Chapel and The Godfather
- Not In This Lifetime: Vatican Still Not Open To The Idea, Realities Of Gays
- ISIS Has New Enemy, Hunted Down by White Shroud Guerillas in Syria
- Vatican Hints Acceptance Of Homosexuals, Contraceptives, Divorce And Remarriage
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage