NBA Rumors: Carmelo Anthony to Houston a Possibility After This Season; Will Phil Jackson Trade the New York Star?
By James Patrick Quizon | March 14, 2014 3:31 PM EST
Will Carmelo Anthony land in Houston and play with Dwight Howard and James Harden? It is a possibility according to Marc Berman from the New York Post.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at New York Knicks
Stating an unnamed league source, Berman is reporting that the Houston Rockets will chase Carmelo Anthony in the summer of 2014.
“According to a league source, the Rockets will make a bid for Carmelo Anthony this summer, even though they probably won’t have cap space and would have to orchestrate a creative sign-and-trade,” writes Berman, who also added that Houston inquired about the star forward’s availability before the trade deadline last February.
Anthony has around $45 million left in his contract with New York. However, the final year (2014-2015) is has a player option for Melo which means that he can become an unrestricted free agent should he opt out of the last year of the deal.
A new dynamic has been formed with regards to the pending Anthony free agency with the arrival of Phil Jackson, who was hired as the general manager of the Knicks on Thursday.
New York’s “rebuilding process” will be dependent on Jackson. The Zen Master has little to work with however as the Knicks have already given up first round picks in future NBA drafts.
One of his options is to cut a sign-and-trade deal involving Anthony rather than get nothing off the star forward if indeed he opts out of the deal.
Potential Houston-New York Trade via ESPN Trade Machine:
J. Lin ($8.3M) + O. Asik ($8.3M) + D. Motiejunas ($1.4M) + O. Caspi ($947K) + C. Parsons ($945K) for C. Anthony ($21.4M)
Other potential destinations for the Anthony are the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers and Chicago Bulls among other teams with probable cap space. Anthony has declared in many interviews that he wants to play at team that will contend for the NBA title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef