Manchester United Transfer News: Van Persie Rubbishes Exit Rumours, Insists He Is Quite Happy with David Moyes
By Deepak Vikraman | March 14, 2014 3:31 PM EST
Robin Van Persie's future with Manchester United has seemingly been up in the air for a while now with several reports suggesting the Dutchman was pining for a move away from Old Trafford, with former club Arsenal, the team he left under acrimonious circumstances, even seen as a possible destination come the end of the season.
However, Van Persie has attempted to put an end to all the rumours surrounding his future as a United player, insisting he was happy with the reigning English Premier League champions, and was looking forward to fulfilling the remaining two-and-a-bit years of his contract, with a stay beyond that also a possibility.
"I don't mind if my performances get dissected and people criticise what I've done on the pitch," Van Persie said in the club's official matchday programme United Review.
"They can talk about my game 24/7 for all I care... and a lot of those opinions and criticisms may actually be right. So I don't mind that.
"What I need to address are the situations when people are taking it upon themselves to think for me, make assumptions, or interpret things as if they are me.
"Last time I checked, my head was still attached to my body, so I'm the only one who knows exactly what I'm feeling and that is not what I or the fans have been reading.
"The truth is I'm very happy here at this club. I signed for four years and I'd be delighted to stay even longer, beyond the next two years I have left on my contract. This is how I feel, although it's not what has been suggested in the media."
Van Persie was undoubtedly the major reason behind United's charge to the title last season, but the 30-year-old has struggled for understanding and fitness under new manager David Moyes, even if he has scored an impressive 14 goals from 23 appearances this term.
The former Arsenal skipper's perceived criticism of his teammates following the morale-sapping 2-0 defeat to Olympiakos in the Champions League only fuelled rumours of an impending exit, while the Dutchman has also struggled considerably to link up well with Wayne Rooney, even if the partnership has been stop-start all season.
Van Persie's relationship with Moyes has also come into question, but the United striker insisted he is happy with both his teammates and his manager.
"I'm very happy with my teammates and I'm very happy with my manager and his staff," he added. "The sessions we have on the training ground are fantastic and I'm learning a lot from them every day.
"I've been a professional footballer for 12 years now and there's no doubt I'm learning new things and progressing with David Moyes. Like I said, talk about my performances or talk about a tackle that was too late. I don't mind. But it goes too far when people start suggesting, amongst other things, that I have a bad understanding with the manager. That's not true at all.
"Over the last few years, I've started to look more closely at the way coaches work to learn from them - not just here at the club, but with the international team as well. I've worked with some brilliant coaches and I've taken a real interest in all the methods they use and the choices they make.
"I can tell you that Moyes' sessions and the things he says in his team meetings are spot-on. I really enjoy working under him and I'm absolutely convinced things will pick up and we'll turn it around.
"There is mutual respect between us and the work environment is actually good. He really wants things to work here at Manchester United and I want the same, just like the other players. We're all working hard to make this work."
It has been a difficult transitional season for Manchester United, with Moyes struggling to fill the immense void left by the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson, as the Red Devils find themselves well out of contention for the title, and indeed a Champions League place.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone