Manchester United Transfer News: Van Persie Rubbishes Exit Rumours, Insists He Is Quite Happy with David Moyes
By Deepak Vikraman | March 14, 2014 3:31 PM EST
Robin Van Persie's future with Manchester United has seemingly been up in the air for a while now with several reports suggesting the Dutchman was pining for a move away from Old Trafford, with former club Arsenal, the team he left under acrimonious circumstances, even seen as a possible destination come the end of the season.
However, Van Persie has attempted to put an end to all the rumours surrounding his future as a United player, insisting he was happy with the reigning English Premier League champions, and was looking forward to fulfilling the remaining two-and-a-bit years of his contract, with a stay beyond that also a possibility.
"I don't mind if my performances get dissected and people criticise what I've done on the pitch," Van Persie said in the club's official matchday programme United Review.
"They can talk about my game 24/7 for all I care... and a lot of those opinions and criticisms may actually be right. So I don't mind that.
"What I need to address are the situations when people are taking it upon themselves to think for me, make assumptions, or interpret things as if they are me.
"Last time I checked, my head was still attached to my body, so I'm the only one who knows exactly what I'm feeling and that is not what I or the fans have been reading.
"The truth is I'm very happy here at this club. I signed for four years and I'd be delighted to stay even longer, beyond the next two years I have left on my contract. This is how I feel, although it's not what has been suggested in the media."
Van Persie was undoubtedly the major reason behind United's charge to the title last season, but the 30-year-old has struggled for understanding and fitness under new manager David Moyes, even if he has scored an impressive 14 goals from 23 appearances this term.
The former Arsenal skipper's perceived criticism of his teammates following the morale-sapping 2-0 defeat to Olympiakos in the Champions League only fuelled rumours of an impending exit, while the Dutchman has also struggled considerably to link up well with Wayne Rooney, even if the partnership has been stop-start all season.
Van Persie's relationship with Moyes has also come into question, but the United striker insisted he is happy with both his teammates and his manager.
"I'm very happy with my teammates and I'm very happy with my manager and his staff," he added. "The sessions we have on the training ground are fantastic and I'm learning a lot from them every day.
"I've been a professional footballer for 12 years now and there's no doubt I'm learning new things and progressing with David Moyes. Like I said, talk about my performances or talk about a tackle that was too late. I don't mind. But it goes too far when people start suggesting, amongst other things, that I have a bad understanding with the manager. That's not true at all.
"Over the last few years, I've started to look more closely at the way coaches work to learn from them - not just here at the club, but with the international team as well. I've worked with some brilliant coaches and I've taken a real interest in all the methods they use and the choices they make.
"I can tell you that Moyes' sessions and the things he says in his team meetings are spot-on. I really enjoy working under him and I'm absolutely convinced things will pick up and we'll turn it around.
"There is mutual respect between us and the work environment is actually good. He really wants things to work here at Manchester United and I want the same, just like the other players. We're all working hard to make this work."
It has been a difficult transitional season for Manchester United, with Moyes struggling to fill the immense void left by the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson, as the Red Devils find themselves well out of contention for the title, and indeed a Champions League place.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen