Europa League Results: Benfica Outclass Tottenham as Betis Stun Sevilla; Juventus Held By Fiorentina
By Deepak Vikraman | March 14, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Tottenham failed to show the spirit and quality that Tim Sherwood had demanded following the defeat to Chelsea in the English Premier League, with the North London side falling 3-1 to Benfica in the first leg of their last 16 tie at White Hart Lane.
There were no such problems for the likes of Valencia, FC Porto, Lyon and AZ Alkmaar, however, while Real Betis stunned rivals Sevilla 2-0 in the Seville Derby. Juventus will have to find at least one goal in the second leg after conceding a 1-1 draw to fellow Serie A side Fiorentina.
All the talk going into the Benfica game was about Sherwood calling his players out, repeatedly saying that a lot of the members of the squad were playing for their Tottenham careers.
Well, if he expected a public rollicking would wake the Tottenham players up, he was wrong, as Benfica showed their class in earning a big lead heading into the second leg.
Rodrigo opened the scoring for the Portuguese league leaders, stroking the ball home wonderfully in the 29th minute, before defender Luisao headed home from a corner in the 58th minute to make it 2-0 to the away side.
Christian Eriksen pulled one back for Tottenham with a brilliant curling freekick, but Benfica as good as put the tie to bed with Luisao completing his brace, latching onto a rebound after an initial save from Hugo Lloris off Ezequiel Garay.
In Turin, Mario remember-me? Gomez scored a vital away goal, coming off the bench, to cancel Arturo Vidal's third-minute strike.
Juventus battered Fiorentina in the first half, striking the woodwork on a couple of occasions, forcing saves from goalkeeper Neto, but the away team held on and struck decisively 11 minutes from time to give them the slight advantage going into the second leg in Florence next week.
The Seville Derby was supposed to go Sevilla - the home team's - way, but it was Betis, rooted to the bottom of La Liga and seemingly destined for the drop, that found their mojo as Leo Baptistao, in the 15th minute, and Salva Sevilla, thirteen minutes from time, helped their side to a 2-0 win.
Lyon pretty much booked their place in the quarterfinals with a 4-1 thumping of Viktoria Plzen, who conceded four consecutive goals - two of them Guieda Fofana - after taking an early lead. Former Fulham, Tottenham and Sunderland midfielder Steed Malbranque was the star for the French side, with the 34-year-old notching up three assists.
FC Porto grabbed a 1-0 advantage of Napoli with Chelsea and Arsenal target Jackson Martinez scoring the only goal of the game in the 57th minute, while Valencia eased to a 3-0 away victory over Ludogorets.
Basel and Salzburg played out a goalless draw in Switzerland as Aron Johansson gave AZ a 1-0 win in the first leg over Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.
Results: Lyon 4-1 Viktoria Plzen, AZ Alkmaar 1-0 Anzhi Makhachkala, Ludogorets 0-3 Valencia, Juventus 1-1 Fiorentina, Sevilla 0-2 Real Betis, Porto 1-0 Napoli, Basel 0-0 Salzburg, Tottenham 1-3 Benfica.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales