Man Mistakenly Pronounced 'Dead' at Hospice Care Eventually Dies After 2 Weeks
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 14, 2014 2:10 PM EST
The story of an American man from Mississippi in the U.S. went viral after he was mistakenly pronounced dead at a hospital and later woke up in a body bag at a funeral home. The Mississippi man eventually died on Thursday, March 13, according to reports.
On Feb. 27, Walter Williams woke up in a body bag at Porter and Sons' Funeral Home. Reuters reported he suddenly started "breathing and kicking" and shocked the people who witnessed the incident.
The 78-year-old Mississippi man was reported to have been under hospice care for end-stage cardiovascular disease and other ailments before the shocking incident. The hospital workers couldn't find a pulse and the coroner had to pronounce him dead.
According to the workers at the hospital, Williams appeared to have suffered from "severe hypoglycemia or low blood pressure." A mix of medicines combined with Williams' condition was believed to have put the man into "deep sleep" and rendered him unresponsive.
"After they got through checking him, the coroner, they pronounced him dead and put him in a plastic bag, zipped him up and took him, put him in the hearse and they left," Eddie Hester, Williams' nephew, said according to ABC News report.
Martha Lweis, William's daughter, told the media the mortician said something wasn't right. It was when Williams woke up and he was hurried to the hospital. The coroner, then, called the event a "miracle."
It was also reported the family of Williams added the possibility of God being the cause for Williams being able to wake up again. God was believed to have stopped working and then started again.
"God gave us a little more time with him, and we're happy about that," Mary Williams said in the report after Williams returned home.
Two weeks later, Williams had eventually expired. Reuters reported Holmes County Coroner Dexter Howard said Williams died at about "1 a.m. local time" in Lexington, Mississippi.
Grace Williams, also Walter's daughter, told the media that before William has died, he told his family that everything was "up in the Lord's hands."
Walter was also called by his nickname "Snowball" or "Snow" because he was "born during a rare Mississippi blizzard."
"I think he's gone this time," the nephew declared in a local television station, accepting William's fate.
WATCH: Walter Williams comes back to life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- American Journalist Steven Sotloff at Risk of Beheading Too If US Gov’t Refuses to Pay $100 Million Ransom to Islamic State Like It Did With James Foley
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- Autistic Business Owners Capitalize On Strengths For Success
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop