Microsoft Surface 2 With LTE All Set
By Judith Aparri | March 14, 2014 1:12 PM EST
LTE for Surface 2 has finally surfaced. It is set to roll out and priced at $680 in 64 GB. This was what Microsoft promised when the regular Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 were launched.
Since October 2013, rumors said the company will provide a Surface 2 tab with LTE wireless connectivity in early 2014 as some of the current and potential Surface users requested a Surface with LTE. A year before, Microsoft officials that the software giant's telemetry data had the information that majority of potential purchasers did not want nor need LTE.
As many expect, Microsoft chooses the second-generation Windows RT-running tab since a Pro 2 with LTE modem would not make financial sense.
Microsoft has a reportedly lined-up 4Gs of Surface 2, perhaps anticipating the commercial launch this week or next or end of March, but surely ahead of Build Developer Conference in April, the same month when Microsoft will release Update 1 of Windows Phone 8.1. There were talks about a Surface Mini coming but remains unsure now.
For the Surface with LTE, unofficial scoop hopes for 64 GB Surface 2 that is AT&T LTE-ready with a $679 price will sound right. Wi-Fi flavor is $549 or $100 less for one with less of half memory. Another wishlist is Microsoft joining Ma Bell for a Surface 2 of 32 GB and cellular connectivity for $550.
A killer deal could be one with 10.6-inch 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution, Tegra 4 processor, 2 GB RAM and a 10-hour lasting battery. A Windows RT 8.1 that seems useless will be the only downside, but others will be fine, most especially when it comes with a free copy of Office 2013.
Looking ahead, Windows 8.1 Update 2 may land this fall with the big release party in April 2015 when Microsoft will do "Threshold" releases like Windows 9, Windows Phone 9 and the big Xbox One update plus a unified store. All these are speculations and must be taken lightly.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand