Woolworths to Add 7000 Workers by Opening 108 New Stores Across Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 14, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Woolworths had opened 40 new stores in the past 6 months, and previously announced it would open 45 more. However, the number has been changed to 68 more.
The announcement is seen as an extension of the ongoing battle of the grocery giants as rival Coles also unveiled last week plans to open 70 more new outlets until 2017. With its additional investment of $1.1 billion in these new stores, Coles would create 16,000 new jobs.
Smaller grocers are trying to catch up with the two giants, with Alsi and Metcash expected to also open 30 new supermarkets yearly.
The 7,000 new jobs to be created by Woolworths would range from customer service positions to senior management level posts.
However, analysts have warned the store growth of supermarkets could be unsustainable. The ideal of new stores should only be 45 new mid- to large-format supermarkets a year, said Morgan Stanley analyst Tom Kierath.
But not all of the new Woolworth outlets would be groceries. Some would be liquor stores, Big W discount variety stores and home improvement chains Master and Home Timber & Hardware.
The Australian government, though, would surely welcome the creation of more jobs by the grocers given the worsening unemployment rate in the country which stood at 6 per cent in February even though 47,000 new jobs were added that month.
With that addition, the unemployment rate should have gone down, but more Aussies were added to the ranks of jobseekers as the participation rate went up 0.2 per cent to 64.8 per cent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales