Woolworths to Add 7000 Workers by Opening 108 New Stores Across Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 14, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Woolworths had opened 40 new stores in the past 6 months, and previously announced it would open 45 more. However, the number has been changed to 68 more.
The announcement is seen as an extension of the ongoing battle of the grocery giants as rival Coles also unveiled last week plans to open 70 more new outlets until 2017. With its additional investment of $1.1 billion in these new stores, Coles would create 16,000 new jobs.
Smaller grocers are trying to catch up with the two giants, with Alsi and Metcash expected to also open 30 new supermarkets yearly.
The 7,000 new jobs to be created by Woolworths would range from customer service positions to senior management level posts.
However, analysts have warned the store growth of supermarkets could be unsustainable. The ideal of new stores should only be 45 new mid- to large-format supermarkets a year, said Morgan Stanley analyst Tom Kierath.
But not all of the new Woolworth outlets would be groceries. Some would be liquor stores, Big W discount variety stores and home improvement chains Master and Home Timber & Hardware.
The Australian government, though, would surely welcome the creation of more jobs by the grocers given the worsening unemployment rate in the country which stood at 6 per cent in February even though 47,000 new jobs were added that month.
With that addition, the unemployment rate should have gone down, but more Aussies were added to the ranks of jobseekers as the participation rate went up 0.2 per cent to 64.8 per cent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation