Dark Souls 2 Review Roundup for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 Consoles
By Aditya Bhat | March 14, 2014 12:41 AM EST
Dark Souls 2, an action role-playing game (RPG) from developer From Software and publisher Bandai Namco, was released on 11 March for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. The PC version has been delayed for 25 March.
Dark Souls 2 PC was released on 25 April.
This game is about the protagonist finding a cure to his curse. He journeys inside the realm of Dranglaec, where souls help the undead fight the curse.
The game is played from a third-person perspective, and players will have to face a very hostile environment and non-stop enemies. The death of these enemies allows players to collect souls that will be acting like currency. Players will face death many times in the game. Time will also be a factor in the game, and there is also a fast travel system. (See Also: Titanfall Review Roundup for Xbox One Console)
The game will allow players to create a character and they can align with factions too, a feature that was present in Dark Souls.
The game also awards death penalties to players and it also has boss battles that are likely to be more satisfying to the players. The game keeps up to its name of being a very difficult one to play. The company has also hinted on the possibility of having world events in the future.
Below is a roundup of the reviews for Dark Souls 2:
- Polygon - Rates it 9/10
"The Souls games have rarely been about fun, but Dark Souls 2's smart tweaks and concessions brought out positive emotions even amidst the pain and exhaustion. It's still a stressful experience, but it's easier than ever to recognize the brilliance in those moments of triumph that make it more than worth the struggle." Read the full review here.
- GamesRadar - Gives it 4.5/5 Stars
"A fantastic sequel that lives up to its namesake, Dark Souls 2 is an action RPG that's challenging and rewarding in equal measure." Read the full review here.
- IGN - Rates it 9/10
"Dark Souls 2 is a smart, massive, and incredibly rewarding sequel. It's crammed with deep systems, tense encounters, and enough clever multiplayer and New Game Plus elements to make me want to restart the second I saw the end credits. Not all of the tweaks and additions worked out for the best, but with such great enemies and levels to fight and explore, Dark Souls 2 made 60 hours of pain and agony so much fun they flew by in a heartbeat." Read the full review here.
- GameSpot - Rates it 9/10
"Dark Souls II is loaded with secrets and surprises, and even though I have finished the game once, there are so many elements I am still uncovering. I may not have yet unveiled all there is to know about this beastly game, even after 80 hours of play, but I do know this: I will be adventuring through Drangleic for many months to come, sure to be haunted nightly by the disturbing gazes of the faceless titans that tenderize my flesh with their two-ton hammers." Read the full review here.
- Videogamer - Rates it 10/10
"Dark Souls 2 is a refined, slicker version of what I consider to be the greatest video game ever made, and it is a title we'll be finding more and more about post-release as its genius is fully uncovered." Read the full review here.
- CVG - Rates it 10/10
"Dark Souls 2 is a landmark action RPG that is unforgettable for so many reasons, not least its immensely deep challenge framed within a sprawling, beautiful world." Read the full review here.
- Trusted Reviews - Rates it 9/10
"Dark Souls 2 takes baby steps towards accessibility, but deep down it's the same bleak, uncompromising game. It's as brutal as it is beautiful, but it's hard to think of another series that can drag you so deep into a distinctive fantasy world, or of another series that makes every new area discovered and every battle won feel like such an achievement. You might love Dark Souls 2 or you might hate it, but you won't be able to forget it." Read the full review here.
- PlayStationLifeStyle - Rates it 8.5/10
"It is a world of subtle truths that seemingly removes the designer's guiding hand, leaving a world that is not only cold and unforgiving, but one that is rewarding in its most pure form. It is a magical recipe of pain and frustration that seeks to make you a better player by the end, simply breaking you down step by step, until you feel like you have personally leveled up more than your digital avatar, and that is something not a lot of games can do." Read the full review here.
- Game Informer - Rates it 9.75/10
"Dark Souls 2 respects you enough to assume you can figure things out, despite having perhaps lost some of these sensibilities by playing other titles that walk you through on tether from start to finish. As a result, the rewards and achievements are that much more satisfying. It's only March, but Dark Souls II stands tall as a potential game of the year." Read the fill review here.
- Digital Spy - Gives it 5/5 Stars
"It's a hardcore, heart-pounding adventure that's more accessible to newcomers, without sacrificing the series' sense of mystery, awe and wonder." Read the fill review here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers