Brazilian Legend Pelé Dead: Latest Subject of Online Hoax
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 14, 2014 12:01 AM EST
Brazilian living (Yes, he is alive) legend has been the latest subject of a trending online hoax declaring famous personalities dead.
Brazilian legend Pelé was reported to have died on Tuesday
Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues’ On-Loan Goalkeeper Dismisses Rumours Linking Him to Real Madrid, Claims It as Ploy to ‘Destabilise’ Current Club
The 73-year-old, whose full name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, was said to have died last Tuesday - March 11, 2014 - via a Facebook page entitled "R.I.P. Pelé," according to Media Mass.
"At about 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday (March 11, 2014), our beloved footballer Pelé passed away. Pelé was born on October 23, 1940 in Três Corações. He will be missed but not forgotten. Please show your sympathy and condolences by commenting on and liking this page," the said page stated, as cited in Media Mass.
Millions of fans allegedly liked the page and expressed their condolences, as well as grieved for the passing of one of the greatest football players in the world. Some took their thoughts to Twitter, while others doubted the veracity of the statement.
As of report time, the purported account is believed to have been struck down by the administrators of Facebook because of its unwanted effects.
Meanwhile, the representatives of the former Santos man cleared the air by declaring the following day that the latter is very much "alive."
"He joins the long list of celebrities who have been victimized by this hoax. He's still alive and well, stop believing what you see on the Internet," they indicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James