Brazilian Legend Pelé Dead: Latest Subject of Online Hoax
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 14, 2014 12:01 AM EST
Brazilian living (Yes, he is alive) legend has been the latest subject of a trending online hoax declaring famous personalities dead.
Brazilian legend Pelé was reported to have died on Tuesday
Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues’ On-Loan Goalkeeper Dismisses Rumours Linking Him to Real Madrid, Claims It as Ploy to ‘Destabilise’ Current Club
The 73-year-old, whose full name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, was said to have died last Tuesday - March 11, 2014 - via a Facebook page entitled "R.I.P. Pelé," according to Media Mass.
"At about 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday (March 11, 2014), our beloved footballer Pelé passed away. Pelé was born on October 23, 1940 in Três Corações. He will be missed but not forgotten. Please show your sympathy and condolences by commenting on and liking this page," the said page stated, as cited in Media Mass.
Millions of fans allegedly liked the page and expressed their condolences, as well as grieved for the passing of one of the greatest football players in the world. Some took their thoughts to Twitter, while others doubted the veracity of the statement.
As of report time, the purported account is believed to have been struck down by the administrators of Facebook because of its unwanted effects.
Meanwhile, the representatives of the former Santos man cleared the air by declaring the following day that the latter is very much "alive."
"He joins the long list of celebrities who have been victimized by this hoax. He's still alive and well, stop believing what you see on the Internet," they indicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports