Kevin Pietersen Will Not be Missed in World T20, Says Ashley Giles
By Shruthi SU | March 13, 2014 10:43 PM EST
Seeing England fail so bad in the T20 series against West Indies, many wonder if a certain Kevin Pietersen could have been the answer. It is his power hitting, the ability to face spin and consolidate the batting order that was missed, one might think. But Ashley Giles, the England coach, does not think so.
"There is no point in talking about someone who is not here, because that doesn't work," Giles told BCC Sport. "Kevin is not coming back as far as I am aware and what we need to concentrate on is improving those personnel that we have."
Asked if Pietersen's sacking was a mistake, Giles said "No". It is known that Giles was one of the few people contacted by ECB before sacking Pietersen after the 0-5 Ashes whitewash in Australia. But in contradiction, Pietersen was meant to be in the World T20 sqaud as Giles had himself said KP was a "million-pound asset" for the team. Perhaps truth take detours.
"He's [Pietersen] a million pound asset at least, he might be worth a bit more than that," Giles had said in January. "He's a fantastic player and he has shown that in T20 cricket. He's not played that much for me in T20, but in other competitions he has shown how dangerous he can be."
It is true that Pietersen played only one T20 international in the past two years for England but his IPL performances and strike rate makes him an attractive package already. The flamboyant run-getter was the highest run-scorer for England in 2013 and was named man-of-the-tournament in England's World Twenty20 win in 2010. What England lack ahead of the World T20 in Bangladesh is that one star performer.
"We are going to try and win the tournament but, realistically, we are eighth in the world rankings, we've not played well at all over the last year, so we are the underdogs," Giles admitted. "Sometimes that's a good place to be, but at the moment it doesn't feel like that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers