Mercedes-Benz India to Roll Out Locally Assembled S Class; S Class S500 to Come Cheaper by ₹20 Lakh
By greeshma m | March 13, 2014 9:45 PM EST
German luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz has started assembling its S Class model locally in India (at their Chakan plant in Pune), said the company on Wednesday.
Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche (C) applauds singer Alicia Keys (R) during the presentation of the new Mercedes-Benz S-class car in Hamburg, May 2013.
The company, which started bringing its 2014 Mercedes S Class as a completely built unit (CBU) to India, has also rolled out its first locally assembled S500 from its Chakan plant. 2014 Mercedes S Class S500 originally priced at ₹1.57 crore (ex-showroom Delhi) is now available at ₹1.36 crore, which is about ₹20 lakhs cheaper than the CBU model.
The car draws its power from the 4.7l V8 engine, which can churn out a power of 455 hp at 5250 rpm and a torque of 700 Nm at 1800-3500 rpm. It is mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and can accelerate from 0-100 kmph in just 4.4 seconds. The company claims a top speed of 250 kmph for its new luxury sedan.
The company sells a wide range of cars in India, such as A Class, B Class, sedans C Class, E Class, S Class and SLS AMG. Beside S Class, Mercedes also assemble E-Class, C-Class, GL-Class and the M-Class models locally in India.
"No other car stands for Mercedes-Benz brand promise more than the S-Class and we are delighted to manufacture the new S-Class at our state-of-the art production facility in Chakan, Pune. Quality has all along been the strength of Mercedes-Benz India, and the new S500 production in India is set to take this success story even further," said Eberhard Kern, managing director and CEO, Mercedes-Benz India, according to AutoCar India.
Recently, the company opened its state-of-the art second dealership in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Mercedes Benz's new dealership Benchmark Cars is spread over a total area of 11000 sq. ft. The showroom offers facilities like customer lounge, accessories, collections display and easy one stop shopping. Currently, Mercedes-Benz India has 62 outlets in 35 cities, and the company is also planning to expand its network in the country.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen