Texas Vehicular Homicide: Alleged Drunk Driver Plows into Austin’s SXSW Crowd; Kills 2, Injures 23 [Video]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 13, 2014 8:59 PM EST
In a brazen incident that has been referred to as a 'vehicular homicide,' an alleged drunk driver plowed through barricades that were erected to cordon off an area for music fans at Austin's annual SXSW music festival, killing two people and injuring 23 others, LA Weekly has reported. The car hit a crowd of people outside a nightclub in downtown Austin where the SXSW 2014, an annual music, film and interactive conference and festival, was being held.
Twitter Screen Shot
Screen shot of a twitter pic: An alleged drunk driver plowed through a crown of music fans at Austin's annual SXSW music festival, killing two people and injuring 23.
Describing the incident as a case of hit and run, the USA Today reported that the alleged drunk driver initially fled on foot.
The mishap took place outside the Mohawk bar early on Thursday morning on Red River and 10 streets in downtown Austin. Reports say that the the man plowed through the crowd slightly after 12:30am local time.
The news was first reported by the Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Service Public Information Office.
Out of the 23 people taken to hospital, 5 are in critical condition, CNN Reported.
The Austin Police Department has said via Twitter that the individual concerned is in custody. The names of the deceased will not be released until proper notifications have been made.
Individual is in custody. More details shortly. The names of the deceased will not be released until proper notifications have been made.
— Austin Police Dept (@Austin_Police) March 13, 2014
Photos and videos posted to social media showed people lying on the street and sidewalk with paramedics kneeling over them.
On a YouTube video, apparently shared by an eyewitness, people present at the site say that a car sped through the crowd, throwing some victims into the air while knocking others down.
"Basically what happened - it was still under DWI investigation - driver ran through some temporary barricades we had set up for South by Southwest and after running through the barricades, he continued to drive, hitting multiple pedestrians," an eyewitness told LA Weekly.
Officers patrolling the area to protect SXSW crowds were right at the crime scene and quickly arrested a suspect, reports suggest.
It was also later confirmed that the news of driver being pursued by cops before he plowed into the crowd were false.
The below YouTube video was posted by an individual called Socrates Villarreal:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed