India’s Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu Make Winning Start in Swiss Open 2014
By Shruthi SU | March 13, 2014 7:55 PM EST
World no.7 Saina Nehwal and no.9 PV Sindhu eased through their opening matches by winning in straight sets against their respective opponents in the Swiss Open 2014 women's singles.
Sixth seed Nehwal brushed aside qualifier Chisato Hoshi from Japan 21-12, 21-12 in 34 minutes to advance to the second round of the event. The two time champion will face Sashina Vignes Waran of France on Thursday.
Saina Nehwal eased past in her first round in Swiss Open 2014.
Seveth seed Sindhu, on the other hand, beat Sannatasah Saniru of Malaysia 21-18, 21-15. The 18-year-old will be up against Canada's Li Michelle in the next round.
Meanwhile, in the men's singles, India's star shuttlers Parupalli Kashyap and Anand Pawar made their way through to the third round.
Kashyap, the Commonwealth Games bronze medallist, needed just 33 minutes to defeat Germany's Lukas Schmidt 21-15, 21-14. He will face Beryno Jiann Tze Wong of Malaysia in the pre-quarterfinals.
If the third-seed Kashyap displayed subtle frailty, Pawar's performance was effortlessly impeccable as he overcame German Tobias Wadenka 21-11, 21-4 in just 24 minutes. And his next match against sixth seed Tien Chen Chou will tell if he can continue the good run.
However, young Kidambi Srikanth had to return from Basel after a disappointing opening round. Srikanth lost to Sweden's Henri Hurskainen 21-19 18-21 17-21, despite putting up a tough fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports