Mitchell Johnson May Miss T20 World Cup Due to Injury
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 13, 2014 7:41 PM EST
Formidable Australian Fast Bowler Mitchell Johnson may get sidelined joining T20 World Cup in Bangladesh squad as a result of his toe injury.
Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson celebrates the wicket of South Africa batsman Faf Du Plessis during the first Test, 13 February.
Johnson, who suffers from a toe infection, is getting treated in Perth. News Limited and Fox Sports noted the infection is serious and there are high chances for him to miss cricketing action for at least a month.
Cricket Australia's Chief Medical Officer cited Johnson will be kept under close monitoring over the next few days.
Associate Prof. Justin Paolini said, "Mitch has been home in Perth recovering from the Test series against South Africa but has developed an infection as a result of a cut he had on his right big toe after the third Test."
Paolini added, "He is receiving treatment but his departure to Bangladesh for the ICC World T20 may be delayed until we are happy that the infection has resolved and his toe fully recovered."
Having placed in a comfortable position after the success of test series and T20 match in South Africa, the Aussies are in high spirit, looking further to clinch the World Cup T20 title. But Johnson's absence at this crucial moment gave a sharp blow to the team.
Johnson was given rest after the test series in South Africa. His infection stemmed from a blister right at the front-landing foot.
He had been going on a hectic schedule for the past few months. His performance helped the Aussies to secure Ashes by 5-0 and 2-1 victory against the Proteas.
Although the final decision of Johnson has not been surfaced so far, it is worth to see if he can really join the squad. The Aussies keep their finger-crossed since losing him on a World Cup tournament may end up a serious crisis for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop