Mitchell Johnson May Miss T20 World Cup Due to Injury
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 13, 2014 7:41 PM EST
Formidable Australian Fast Bowler Mitchell Johnson may get sidelined joining T20 World Cup in Bangladesh squad as a result of his toe injury.
Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson celebrates the wicket of South Africa batsman Faf Du Plessis during the first Test, 13 February.
Johnson, who suffers from a toe infection, is getting treated in Perth. News Limited and Fox Sports noted the infection is serious and there are high chances for him to miss cricketing action for at least a month.
Cricket Australia's Chief Medical Officer cited Johnson will be kept under close monitoring over the next few days.
Associate Prof. Justin Paolini said, "Mitch has been home in Perth recovering from the Test series against South Africa but has developed an infection as a result of a cut he had on his right big toe after the third Test."
Paolini added, "He is receiving treatment but his departure to Bangladesh for the ICC World T20 may be delayed until we are happy that the infection has resolved and his toe fully recovered."
Having placed in a comfortable position after the success of test series and T20 match in South Africa, the Aussies are in high spirit, looking further to clinch the World Cup T20 title. But Johnson's absence at this crucial moment gave a sharp blow to the team.
Johnson was given rest after the test series in South Africa. His infection stemmed from a blister right at the front-landing foot.
He had been going on a hectic schedule for the past few months. His performance helped the Aussies to secure Ashes by 5-0 and 2-1 victory against the Proteas.
Although the final decision of Johnson has not been surfaced so far, it is worth to see if he can really join the squad. The Aussies keep their finger-crossed since losing him on a World Cup tournament may end up a serious crisis for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28