Mitchell Johnson May Miss T20 World Cup Due to Injury
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 13, 2014 7:41 PM EST
Formidable Australian Fast Bowler Mitchell Johnson may get sidelined joining T20 World Cup in Bangladesh squad as a result of his toe injury.
Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson celebrates the wicket of South Africa batsman Faf Du Plessis during the first Test, 13 February.
Johnson, who suffers from a toe infection, is getting treated in Perth. News Limited and Fox Sports noted the infection is serious and there are high chances for him to miss cricketing action for at least a month.
Cricket Australia's Chief Medical Officer cited Johnson will be kept under close monitoring over the next few days.
Associate Prof. Justin Paolini said, "Mitch has been home in Perth recovering from the Test series against South Africa but has developed an infection as a result of a cut he had on his right big toe after the third Test."
Paolini added, "He is receiving treatment but his departure to Bangladesh for the ICC World T20 may be delayed until we are happy that the infection has resolved and his toe fully recovered."
Having placed in a comfortable position after the success of test series and T20 match in South Africa, the Aussies are in high spirit, looking further to clinch the World Cup T20 title. But Johnson's absence at this crucial moment gave a sharp blow to the team.
Johnson was given rest after the test series in South Africa. His infection stemmed from a blister right at the front-landing foot.
He had been going on a hectic schedule for the past few months. His performance helped the Aussies to secure Ashes by 5-0 and 2-1 victory against the Proteas.
Although the final decision of Johnson has not been surfaced so far, it is worth to see if he can really join the squad. The Aussies keep their finger-crossed since losing him on a World Cup tournament may end up a serious crisis for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown