Mitchell Johnson May Miss T20 World Cup Due to Injury
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 13, 2014 7:41 PM EST
Formidable Australian Fast Bowler Mitchell Johnson may get sidelined joining T20 World Cup in Bangladesh squad as a result of his toe injury.
Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson celebrates the wicket of South Africa batsman Faf Du Plessis during the first Test, 13 February.
Johnson, who suffers from a toe infection, is getting treated in Perth. News Limited and Fox Sports noted the infection is serious and there are high chances for him to miss cricketing action for at least a month.
Cricket Australia's Chief Medical Officer cited Johnson will be kept under close monitoring over the next few days.
Associate Prof. Justin Paolini said, "Mitch has been home in Perth recovering from the Test series against South Africa but has developed an infection as a result of a cut he had on his right big toe after the third Test."
Paolini added, "He is receiving treatment but his departure to Bangladesh for the ICC World T20 may be delayed until we are happy that the infection has resolved and his toe fully recovered."
Having placed in a comfortable position after the success of test series and T20 match in South Africa, the Aussies are in high spirit, looking further to clinch the World Cup T20 title. But Johnson's absence at this crucial moment gave a sharp blow to the team.
Johnson was given rest after the test series in South Africa. His infection stemmed from a blister right at the front-landing foot.
He had been going on a hectic schedule for the past few months. His performance helped the Aussies to secure Ashes by 5-0 and 2-1 victory against the Proteas.
Although the final decision of Johnson has not been surfaced so far, it is worth to see if he can really join the squad. The Aussies keep their finger-crossed since losing him on a World Cup tournament may end up a serious crisis for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists