Mitchell Johnson May Miss T20 World Cup Due to Injury
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 13, 2014 7:41 PM EST
Formidable Australian Fast Bowler Mitchell Johnson may get sidelined joining T20 World Cup in Bangladesh squad as a result of his toe injury.
Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson celebrates the wicket of South Africa batsman Faf Du Plessis during the first Test, 13 February.
Johnson, who suffers from a toe infection, is getting treated in Perth. News Limited and Fox Sports noted the infection is serious and there are high chances for him to miss cricketing action for at least a month.
Cricket Australia's Chief Medical Officer cited Johnson will be kept under close monitoring over the next few days.
Associate Prof. Justin Paolini said, "Mitch has been home in Perth recovering from the Test series against South Africa but has developed an infection as a result of a cut he had on his right big toe after the third Test."
Paolini added, "He is receiving treatment but his departure to Bangladesh for the ICC World T20 may be delayed until we are happy that the infection has resolved and his toe fully recovered."
Having placed in a comfortable position after the success of test series and T20 match in South Africa, the Aussies are in high spirit, looking further to clinch the World Cup T20 title. But Johnson's absence at this crucial moment gave a sharp blow to the team.
Johnson was given rest after the test series in South Africa. His infection stemmed from a blister right at the front-landing foot.
He had been going on a hectic schedule for the past few months. His performance helped the Aussies to secure Ashes by 5-0 and 2-1 victory against the Proteas.
Although the final decision of Johnson has not been surfaced so far, it is worth to see if he can really join the squad. The Aussies keep their finger-crossed since losing him on a World Cup tournament may end up a serious crisis for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points