Yamaha Launches Alpha Automatic Scooter in India; Price, Features Details
By greeshma m | March 13, 2014 7:26 PM EST
Japanese two-wheeler maker Yamaha introduced its new scooter, dubbed Alpha, in India with a price tag of 48,175 (Mumbai ex-showroom).
Yamaha Alpha, a 113 cc automatic scooter, was first seen at the Delhi Auto Expo 2014. The scooter flaunts a stylish design and comes powered by 113cc air-cooled 4-stroke two-valve single cylinder engine, which can pump in a power of 7.1 Ps and a peak torque of 8.1 Nm. It claims to deliver a fuel efficiency of 62 kmpl.
Seated on a wheelbase of 1270mm, the scooter measures 1,795mm in length, 675mm in width and 1124mm in height. Other features of the Alpha include telescopic suspension and great storage capacity of 21 litre. The scooter will be available in the market in five paint jobs - Black, White, Grey, Red and Magenta.
"We certainly see a lot of potential for the Scooter Market in India as we expect it to reach 3.6 million units in 2014. The launch of the 'Alpha' for the family customers is in sync with our strategy of following a top-down approach. After receiving a brilliant response from our customers for the Ray and Ray Z it was time we introduced a product for a much larger target audience. I am very happy to add 'Alpha' to our scooter lineup and am confident that the Alpha will also pave its way to winning the hearts of the family customers," said Roy Kurian, Vice President - Sales and Marketing, Yamaha Motor India Sales Pvt. Ltd. as quoted by Motoroids.
With the launch of Alpha, Yamaha hopes to expand its foothold in the domestic auto market. The scooter will join Yamaha's Ray and Ray Z in the Indian market. The company also offers YBR110, FZ16 and YZF R15 motorcycles in the country. While the Yamaha Ray and Ray Z target the youth in India, the company's new offering Alpha will aim the families.
In February, Yamaha reported a 32.5 percent increase in sales at 42,548 units as against the 32,097 units in the same month last year. The company has also cut the prices of their scooters and bikes in India, following the excise duty reduction announced in the interim budget 2014-15. The quantum of the price cut ranges from 1,033 to 3,066.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers