More Hints on Secret Hijack? Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Continued to Fly for 4 Additional Hours, Says US
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 13, 2014 7:22 PM EST
Bolstering a theory that is widely circulating in the social media that there could be an ongoing secret negotiation with possible hijackers of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, it has now been revealed that the airplane continued to fly for four additional hours from the time of what was initially announced as the last point of contact.
The missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is said to have continued to fly for four additional hours, bolstering the theory of a possible secret hijack.
Also Read: Man Saw Flight MH370 Burning and Crashing
The information, revealed by US investigators, now raises the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds, possibly thousands, of additional miles. The latest development only raises more questions.
The Wall Street Journal reported, citing aviation investigators and national security officials, that the plane flew for a total of five hours. The puzzling information is said to have been automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing 777's engine as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.
While the mystery surrounding the missing plane has only continued to raise confusion and frustration, the latest revelation raises a spate of new questions and possibilities on a story that has continued to make major international headlines for six days after the plane's disappearance under mysterious circumstances.
The wide-body jet, carrying 239 people onboard, was reported to have vanished from the civilian air-traffic control radar in the wee hours of Saturday, only about an hour into its journey from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
While the inability to solve the puzzle surrounding the bizarre disappearance of the plane has become a breeding ground for uncanny theories and explanations doing their rounds on the internet, the event has prompted a massive international air and water search, which so far has not produced any tangible results.
As the investigation continues, US counterterrorism officials are pursuing the possibility, as speculated by the family members of the passengers, that a pilot or someone else onboard could have deliberately turned off the jetliner's transponders to avoid radar detection and diverted the plane to an undisclosed or undetectable location.
The evidence, indicating possible terrorism or sabotage, tends to make more sense in a theoretical point of view at a time when there is nothing more scientific and plausible one could think about.
Also interesting is the way a Malaysian official seemed to digress from a question asked by a family member in Beijing on Wednesday on whether military-grade radar had picked up the plane. The official who had visited China to meet the family members reportedly gave reasons to speculate the possibility of an ongoing official secret negotiations with hijackers when he said: "Now is not the time to reveal it."
Adding to the mystery is the curious case of phones of some of the passengers still ringing. No one has been so far able to give an official response to the fact that the family members could still hear the passengers' phone ringing, even days after the disappearance of the plane.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones