AC/DC Rocker Philip Rudd Ordered To Pay Restaurant Staff $72K For Unfair Dismissal
By Anne Lu | March 13, 2014 6:51 PM EST
AC/DC drummer Philip Rudd has been ordered to pay three of his restaurant employees $72,000 for unfairly dismissing them. Alice Kiwa, Janelle Kiwa, and Hayden Clark filed a case with the Employment Relations Authority after they were fired from Phil’s Place.
According to the suit, an altercation involving Rudd, the owner of the Tauranga Marina restaurant, and the employees took place on July 18, 2012.
Rudd entered his restaurant and asked for an antipasto platter to be delivered to his boat. But communication confusion with his security guard had sent another waitress to deliver the meal to his aircraft hanger rather than to his boat.
The rocker then went back to the restaurant, kicking back the door to should, “Where is my f****** meal.”
Alice, Janelle, and Clark then tried to explained the mix-up, but Rudd didn’t want to hear their excuse, yelling at them, “You’re all f****** useless.” He told them they were fired before he kicked the rubbish bin and left the restaurant.
Clark, the chef who was paid on salary, was asked by the manager not to leave as there were customers in the restaurant. However, he was escorted out of the premises.
Alice and Janelle were both paid hourly wages.
According to 3 News, Rudd arranged for his accountant to the employees for his behaviour two days later. The accountant told them that the restaurant would close for winter and they had no jobs.
Rudd only apologised in person 18 months later.
ERA member Tania Tetitaha ruled that the three complainants were permanent employees of the restaurant because of their work history, adding that they were unjustifiably dismissed. They were said to have variously suffered from depression, been made homeless, and subjected to false accusations of theft.
She ordered Rudd to pay each of them $15,000 compensation, as well as thousands of dollars in lost wages.
The AC/DC rocker was also ordered to pay the trio’s legal costs of $8500. His total bill amounted to $72,600.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]