AC/DC Rocker Philip Rudd Ordered To Pay Restaurant Staff $72K For Unfair Dismissal
By Anne Lu | March 13, 2014 6:51 PM EST
AC/DC drummer Philip Rudd has been ordered to pay three of his restaurant employees $72,000 for unfairly dismissing them. Alice Kiwa, Janelle Kiwa, and Hayden Clark filed a case with the Employment Relations Authority after they were fired from Phil’s Place.
According to the suit, an altercation involving Rudd, the owner of the Tauranga Marina restaurant, and the employees took place on July 18, 2012.
Rudd entered his restaurant and asked for an antipasto platter to be delivered to his boat. But communication confusion with his security guard had sent another waitress to deliver the meal to his aircraft hanger rather than to his boat.
The rocker then went back to the restaurant, kicking back the door to should, “Where is my f****** meal.”
Alice, Janelle, and Clark then tried to explained the mix-up, but Rudd didn’t want to hear their excuse, yelling at them, “You’re all f****** useless.” He told them they were fired before he kicked the rubbish bin and left the restaurant.
Clark, the chef who was paid on salary, was asked by the manager not to leave as there were customers in the restaurant. However, he was escorted out of the premises.
Alice and Janelle were both paid hourly wages.
According to 3 News, Rudd arranged for his accountant to the employees for his behaviour two days later. The accountant told them that the restaurant would close for winter and they had no jobs.
Rudd only apologised in person 18 months later.
ERA member Tania Tetitaha ruled that the three complainants were permanent employees of the restaurant because of their work history, adding that they were unjustifiably dismissed. They were said to have variously suffered from depression, been made homeless, and subjected to false accusations of theft.
She ordered Rudd to pay each of them $15,000 compensation, as well as thousands of dollars in lost wages.
The AC/DC rocker was also ordered to pay the trio’s legal costs of $8500. His total bill amounted to $72,600.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features