Jockeys and Trainers Gave Guard of Honour in Roy Higgins Final Farewell
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 13, 2014 6:15 PM EST
Roy Higgins, arguably the greatest jockey of Australia, was given the Guard of Honour award at his last farewell journey.
The event was organised at Flemington racecourse on Thursday.The hearse carrying the legend was accompanied by Frank Sinatra's My Way and was followed by former Melbourne Cup winners Rogan Josh, Subzero and Brew made a procession around the track.
Higgins died last Saturday night in Melbourne's Cabrini Hospital. He was 75 years of age.
The funeral at the Flemington mounting yard was attended by past jockeys, trainers, administrators and also friends and families to pay respect to this legendary person.
His performance was formidable as his 108 Group 1 winners still stands the second best after George Moore. Higgins was also nicknamed "The Professor" and was also adorned in 1974 with Member of the Order of the British Empire for his services to horse racing as a jockey.
Broadcaster Bruce McAvaney said he would be remembered "more as man than the legend." He also mentioned his moment of Nirvana when he met Higgins for the first time in Adelaide in 1974.
Higgins's daughter Nicole Lund mentioned in yesterday's gathering that her father would have liked the situation, with bright sunshine, blooming roses and friends chatting quietly.
Notable author Les Carlyon said Higgins had "a quality of his own" and "as close as anyone comes to being universally loved." Carlyon further said, "He became a trailblazer. He talked so eloquently he changed the game. He gave jockeys a human face.''
Former jockey Gary Willets said "Roy helped me so much, he opened so many doors for me."
Champion jockey Damien Oliver also added, "I will be eternally grateful that he took me under his wing.'' He further said, "Roy was a special man."
Racing Victoria stated they are likely to discuss at the April board meeting about the construction of Roy Higgins statue, preferably at Flemington.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal