New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road One of 'Most Dangerous' Roads in the World
By Reissa Su | March 13, 2014 6:08 PM EST
New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road has been named as one of the most dangerous roads in the world. According to Driving Experience, a British driving firm, Skippers Canyon Road is "unbelievably scary as it is beautiful."
Skippers Canyon Road is 25 minutes away from Queenstown in Mt. Aurum Recreation Reserve. New Zealand's most dangerous road is a gravel road used mostly by commercial tourism operators, including tour buses.
The world's most dangerous roads were rated based on an interactive map that the firm has made. The map was designed in reference to World Health Organization's 2013 global status report on road safety and other sets of data.
The British firm's report has given New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road an "overall road fear factor" scoring 7 out of 10. Driving Experience said the fatalities in Skippers Canyon were relatively low. Despite the low number, the road is deemed dangerous because of its steep drop into the ravine below it. According to the firm, navigating through the road will take great concentration, patience and a special permit to drive on it.
Skippers Canyon Road has an "extremely narrow" path cutting into the middle of a sheer cliff face. This makes it difficult and challenging to navigate any vehicle.
Mike Noon, Automobile Association road safety and infrastructure spokesman, said he was not surprised that Skippers Canyon Road made it to the list of world's most dangerous roads. Noon added the road is above river with big drop-off. He noted he wouldn't drive on that road by himself because it's difficult to pass other vehicles.
Some corners of Skippers Canyon Road have been "bricked in" under the cliff to create the road. New Zealand's road had the least "overall road fear factor" compared to other dangerous roads in the world.
The North Yungas Road in Bolivia also known as the "Road of Death" has scored 10 out of 10 in fear factor.
Below is the list of Driving Experience's most dangerous roads in the world:
1.North North Yungas Road - Bolivia
2. Nanga Parbat Pass - Pakistan
3. Zoji La - India
4. BR-116 - Brazil
5. Trans Siberian Highway - Russia
6. Ruta 5 - Chile
7. Guoliang Road - China
8. Nairobi Highway - Kenya
9. Jame Dalton Highway - Alaska
10. Taroko Gorge road - Taiwan
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy