New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road One of 'Most Dangerous' Roads in the World
By Reissa Su | March 13, 2014 6:08 PM EST
New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road has been named as one of the most dangerous roads in the world. According to Driving Experience, a British driving firm, Skippers Canyon Road is "unbelievably scary as it is beautiful."
Skippers Canyon Road is 25 minutes away from Queenstown in Mt. Aurum Recreation Reserve. New Zealand's most dangerous road is a gravel road used mostly by commercial tourism operators, including tour buses.
The world's most dangerous roads were rated based on an interactive map that the firm has made. The map was designed in reference to World Health Organization's 2013 global status report on road safety and other sets of data.
The British firm's report has given New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road an "overall road fear factor" scoring 7 out of 10. Driving Experience said the fatalities in Skippers Canyon were relatively low. Despite the low number, the road is deemed dangerous because of its steep drop into the ravine below it. According to the firm, navigating through the road will take great concentration, patience and a special permit to drive on it.
Skippers Canyon Road has an "extremely narrow" path cutting into the middle of a sheer cliff face. This makes it difficult and challenging to navigate any vehicle.
Mike Noon, Automobile Association road safety and infrastructure spokesman, said he was not surprised that Skippers Canyon Road made it to the list of world's most dangerous roads. Noon added the road is above river with big drop-off. He noted he wouldn't drive on that road by himself because it's difficult to pass other vehicles.
Some corners of Skippers Canyon Road have been "bricked in" under the cliff to create the road. New Zealand's road had the least "overall road fear factor" compared to other dangerous roads in the world.
The North Yungas Road in Bolivia also known as the "Road of Death" has scored 10 out of 10 in fear factor.
Below is the list of Driving Experience's most dangerous roads in the world:
1.North North Yungas Road - Bolivia
2. Nanga Parbat Pass - Pakistan
3. Zoji La - India
4. BR-116 - Brazil
5. Trans Siberian Highway - Russia
6. Ruta 5 - Chile
7. Guoliang Road - China
8. Nairobi Highway - Kenya
9. Jame Dalton Highway - Alaska
10. Taroko Gorge road - Taiwan
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report