New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road One of 'Most Dangerous' Roads in the World
By Reissa Su | March 13, 2014 6:08 PM EST
New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road has been named as one of the most dangerous roads in the world. According to Driving Experience, a British driving firm, Skippers Canyon Road is "unbelievably scary as it is beautiful."
Skippers Canyon Road is 25 minutes away from Queenstown in Mt. Aurum Recreation Reserve. New Zealand's most dangerous road is a gravel road used mostly by commercial tourism operators, including tour buses.
The world's most dangerous roads were rated based on an interactive map that the firm has made. The map was designed in reference to World Health Organization's 2013 global status report on road safety and other sets of data.
The British firm's report has given New Zealand's Skippers Canyon Road an "overall road fear factor" scoring 7 out of 10. Driving Experience said the fatalities in Skippers Canyon were relatively low. Despite the low number, the road is deemed dangerous because of its steep drop into the ravine below it. According to the firm, navigating through the road will take great concentration, patience and a special permit to drive on it.
Skippers Canyon Road has an "extremely narrow" path cutting into the middle of a sheer cliff face. This makes it difficult and challenging to navigate any vehicle.
Mike Noon, Automobile Association road safety and infrastructure spokesman, said he was not surprised that Skippers Canyon Road made it to the list of world's most dangerous roads. Noon added the road is above river with big drop-off. He noted he wouldn't drive on that road by himself because it's difficult to pass other vehicles.
Some corners of Skippers Canyon Road have been "bricked in" under the cliff to create the road. New Zealand's road had the least "overall road fear factor" compared to other dangerous roads in the world.
The North Yungas Road in Bolivia also known as the "Road of Death" has scored 10 out of 10 in fear factor.
Below is the list of Driving Experience's most dangerous roads in the world:
1.North North Yungas Road - Bolivia
2. Nanga Parbat Pass - Pakistan
3. Zoji La - India
4. BR-116 - Brazil
5. Trans Siberian Highway - Russia
6. Ruta 5 - Chile
7. Guoliang Road - China
8. Nairobi Highway - Kenya
9. Jame Dalton Highway - Alaska
10. Taroko Gorge road - Taiwan
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- MH370 Search Update: Conspiracy To Withhold Full Cargo Manifest Still Alight
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier