3D Face Printing Transforms a Man’s Life
By Parismita Goswami | March 13, 2014 6:06 PM EST
A survivor of a motorbike accident who suffered terrible facial injuries underwent a surgery to reconstruct his face with the use of 3D printed parts.
3D Face Printing Transforms a Man’s Life (Representational Image)
Stephen Power from Cardiff, Wales is believed to be the world's first trauma patient to undergo a 3D printing procedure at every stage of the surgery.
In 2012, the 29-year-old met with a major accident that left multiple injuries in his face. He broke his nose, top jaw, cheek bones and fractured his skull. By the use of 3D printing techniques, surgeons could estimate the face reconstruction.
Surgeons finally could create a face amazingly similar to that of Power's original face. Surgeons at the Morriston Hospital in Wales' second city, Swansea, in order to restore the symmetry of his face, employed CT scans to print and create a symmetrical 3D model of his skull.
Power used to wear glasses and hat to hide his injuries prior to his operation. But soon after the surgery, he felt the transformation.
"I could see the difference straight away the day I woke up. I'm hoping I won't have to disguise myself. I won't have to hide away. I'll be able to do day-to-day things, go and see people, walk in the street, even go to any public areas." BBC News quoted Power as saying.
"Without this advanced technology, it's freehand. You have to guess where everything goes. The technology allows us to be far more precise and get a better result for the patient." said Adrian Sugar, maxillofacial surgeon in a statement.
The surgery was a joint project between the Centre of Applied Reconstructive Technologies in Surgery (Cartis), collaboration between the Swansea hospital and Cardiff Metropolitan University scientists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman