3D Face Printing Transforms a Man’s Life
By Parismita Goswami | March 13, 2014 6:06 PM EST
A survivor of a motorbike accident who suffered terrible facial injuries underwent a surgery to reconstruct his face with the use of 3D printed parts.
3D Face Printing Transforms a Man’s Life (Representational Image)
Stephen Power from Cardiff, Wales is believed to be the world's first trauma patient to undergo a 3D printing procedure at every stage of the surgery.
In 2012, the 29-year-old met with a major accident that left multiple injuries in his face. He broke his nose, top jaw, cheek bones and fractured his skull. By the use of 3D printing techniques, surgeons could estimate the face reconstruction.
Surgeons finally could create a face amazingly similar to that of Power's original face. Surgeons at the Morriston Hospital in Wales' second city, Swansea, in order to restore the symmetry of his face, employed CT scans to print and create a symmetrical 3D model of his skull.
Power used to wear glasses and hat to hide his injuries prior to his operation. But soon after the surgery, he felt the transformation.
"I could see the difference straight away the day I woke up. I'm hoping I won't have to disguise myself. I won't have to hide away. I'll be able to do day-to-day things, go and see people, walk in the street, even go to any public areas." BBC News quoted Power as saying.
"Without this advanced technology, it's freehand. You have to guess where everything goes. The technology allows us to be far more precise and get a better result for the patient." said Adrian Sugar, maxillofacial surgeon in a statement.
The surgery was a joint project between the Centre of Applied Reconstructive Technologies in Surgery (Cartis), collaboration between the Swansea hospital and Cardiff Metropolitan University scientists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Only Good At Making Babies--- Report
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone