Ratings War: Can ‘Resurrection’ be as Successful as ‘The Walking Dead?’
By Tarun Mazumdar | March 13, 2014 6:03 PM EST
It looks like ABC is ready to go head on with AMC for the Sunday primetime slot. The network has been struggling in the numbers department since "Desperate Housewives" left two years ago. According to Examiner, "666 Park Avenue" and Betrayal" were aired on Sunday nights and later cancelled. However, now ABC has "Resurrection" to give competition to shows like AMC's "The Walking Dead."
According to USA Today, "Resurrection" season 1 premiere racked in 13.9 million viewers. It was the No. 2 drama premiere this season.
"Resurrection" ranked No. 6 while "The Walking Dead" was placed at No. 7 with 12.7 million viewers on Sunday.
ABC's "Resurrection" might have more viewers but in the 18-49 age group demo it got only 3.6 million viewers. "The Walking Dead" championed the 18-49 demo with 8 million viewers more than double of "Resurrection."
According to Deadline, this was the second week ABC defeated AMC in the Sunday number game.
On March 9, "Resurrection" stole the show while on March 2, the broadcast of The 86th Annual Academy Awards defeated "The Walking Dead."
Check out the week's top 20 shows, courtesy USA Today.
1. The Big Bang Theory, CBS, 18.1 million
2. NCIS, CBS, 17.9 million
3. The Voice (Monday), NBC, 15.6 million
4. The Voice (Tuesday), NBC, 14.5 million
5. NCIS: Los Angeles, CBS, 14.4 million
6. Resurrection, ABC, 13.9 million
7. The Walking Dead, AMC, 12.7 million
8. Blue Bloods, CBS, 12.0 million
9. The Millers, CBS, 11.6 million
10. Criminal Minds, CBS, 11.4 million
11. The Black List, NBC, 11.0 million
12. 60 Minutes, CBS, 10.7 million
13. Person of Interest, CBS, 10.6 million
14. American Idol (Wednesday), Fox, 10.5 million
15. Two and a Half Men, CBS, 10.4 million
16. Hawaii Five-0, CBS, 10.4 million
17. The Mentalist, CBS, 10.0 million
18. American Idol (Thursday), Fox, 9.8 million
19. Survivor, CBS, 9.6 million
20. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CBS, 9.3 million
In order to be as successful as "The Walking Dead," "Resurrection" will have to capture the audience on Twitter.
"The Walking Dead" was clearly the undisputed champion of Twitter ratings on March 9 with 307,000 tweets and 4,214,000 unique audiences.
"Resurrection" will have to up its game in the Twitter universe to beat a show like "The Walking Dead."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date