Ratings War: Can ‘Resurrection’ be as Successful as ‘The Walking Dead?’
By Tarun Mazumdar | March 13, 2014 6:03 PM EST
It looks like ABC is ready to go head on with AMC for the Sunday primetime slot. The network has been struggling in the numbers department since "Desperate Housewives" left two years ago. According to Examiner, "666 Park Avenue" and Betrayal" were aired on Sunday nights and later cancelled. However, now ABC has "Resurrection" to give competition to shows like AMC's "The Walking Dead."
According to USA Today, "Resurrection" season 1 premiere racked in 13.9 million viewers. It was the No. 2 drama premiere this season.
"Resurrection" ranked No. 6 while "The Walking Dead" was placed at No. 7 with 12.7 million viewers on Sunday.
ABC's "Resurrection" might have more viewers but in the 18-49 age group demo it got only 3.6 million viewers. "The Walking Dead" championed the 18-49 demo with 8 million viewers more than double of "Resurrection."
According to Deadline, this was the second week ABC defeated AMC in the Sunday number game.
On March 9, "Resurrection" stole the show while on March 2, the broadcast of The 86th Annual Academy Awards defeated "The Walking Dead."
Check out the week's top 20 shows, courtesy USA Today.
1. The Big Bang Theory, CBS, 18.1 million
2. NCIS, CBS, 17.9 million
3. The Voice (Monday), NBC, 15.6 million
4. The Voice (Tuesday), NBC, 14.5 million
5. NCIS: Los Angeles, CBS, 14.4 million
6. Resurrection, ABC, 13.9 million
7. The Walking Dead, AMC, 12.7 million
8. Blue Bloods, CBS, 12.0 million
9. The Millers, CBS, 11.6 million
10. Criminal Minds, CBS, 11.4 million
11. The Black List, NBC, 11.0 million
12. 60 Minutes, CBS, 10.7 million
13. Person of Interest, CBS, 10.6 million
14. American Idol (Wednesday), Fox, 10.5 million
15. Two and a Half Men, CBS, 10.4 million
16. Hawaii Five-0, CBS, 10.4 million
17. The Mentalist, CBS, 10.0 million
18. American Idol (Thursday), Fox, 9.8 million
19. Survivor, CBS, 9.6 million
20. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CBS, 9.3 million
In order to be as successful as "The Walking Dead," "Resurrection" will have to capture the audience on Twitter.
"The Walking Dead" was clearly the undisputed champion of Twitter ratings on March 9 with 307,000 tweets and 4,214,000 unique audiences.
"Resurrection" will have to up its game in the Twitter universe to beat a show like "The Walking Dead."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies