Waikato Teacher Found Guilty of Sexually Abusing, Giving Drugs to Young Students, Slapped with 7-year Imprisonment
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 13, 2014 5:15 PM EST
A male teacher from South Waikato has been found guilty of sexually abusing his young students, as well as providing drugs to a minor. He has been slapped with a 7-year imprisonment sentence.
Judge Barney Thomas said the acts of Rueben James Parinui Tapara, 33, a former assistant principal of Te Wharekura o te Kaokaoroa o Patetere in Putaruru were "planned and premeditated'' and been carried out in a "cynical and calculated way'' over a number of years.
Pregnant Nadine Wright was jailed for stealing £13.94 worth of food (Reuters)
Mr Tapara had been the school's assistant principal for three years until his arrest in October 2013.
Three of his students made complaints against the former teacher. Two of them were just 11 years old when the abuse took place.
One of the victims said Mr Tapara would offer money in exchange to let him "play" with the boy's private parts. It was learned during the proceedings that the former assistant principal abused the boy for three years, at times giving his victim cannabis to make the boy more obedient.
Mr Tapara took his victims to several locations. Apart from money, he bribed his victims with cigarettes, lollies and energy drinks.
Mr Thomas said Mr Tapara had abused the trust not only of the young boys, but also their families, the school and the community. He noted the effects of what he did on the victims would be "significantly traumatic and on-going."
"It makes me sick the offender killed my son's childhood, he scarred my son with terrible memories that he will carry with him for the rest of his life. He killed his innocence," the mother of one of the boys told the court.
Mr Tapara, appearing via audio visual link to the court, cried when he heard the impact statement read.
"I have not had a full night's sleep since finding out about what you did to my son. Every night I have nightmares," she said.
Through his lawyer, Mr Tapara expressed remorse over his actions.
"Through my actions I have caused so much suffering and for that I have no-one to blame but myself. I realise I cannot retract the hurt I've caused with words alone and that I must prove through my actions that sorry is not just a word. I'm terribly regretful and also very angry with myself for doing what I did. I have no excuses to give," James Gurnick, Mr Tapara's lawyer, said as he read the latter's letter.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Julie Bishop to Attend UN Climate Summit; Australia Pressured to Announce 'Bolder' Target
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date