Arsenal Transfer News: Defender Refuses to Speculate on Future as Reports Continue over Possible Summer Exit
By Deepak Vikraman | March 13, 2014 4:39 PM EST
Thomas Vermaelen refused to be drawn out over a possible exit from Arsenal this summer.
The Belgian international has been very much on the periphery this season, with Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker forging a brilliant central defensive partnership at the back.
The bench time has expectedly led to reports of an exit at the end of the season, with several clubs from Italy, Spain and English Premier League rivals Manchester United reportedly showing an interest.
Vermaelen will have only one year remaining on his contract come the summer, and speculation will only increase as time goes on over the defender's future.
"There has been a lot of speculation, but I can't talk about it because I don't know what is going on," Vermaelen said. "My focus is on Arsenal at the moment. There is still a lot to play for -- I can't do anything about rumours."
Vermaelen made a bright start to life at Arsenal when he moved to the North London club in 2009, but injuries and the form of Koscielny and Mertesacker have now consigned the Belgian to third-choice at the club, something that the club skipper admitted he has found a little hard to deal with.
"It is not easy, but I try to stay positive," Vermaelen added. "Firstly, I have been injured in the last couple of weeks, but when the boss needs me, I try to play well.
"I know anything can happen, so I am happy to play when he needs me. From my point of view, I hope it is as much as it can be. I work hard for the team and that is the only thing that I can do."
Meanwhile, Arsenal vice-captain Mikel Arteta believes if his side can go all the way and win the FA Cup this season, it might herald a new trophy-winning era for the club.
"I think it would be a turning point for the club," Arteta was quoted as saying by the club's official website. "[If we won a trophy] it would give you a lift, give you belief that you can start to go in the right direction and hopefully we can do it.
"We have two competitions that we are still in. We want to fight for the league, for sure, and we have a great chance in the FA Cup as well. So we need to enjoy the moment and make the most of it because I think we can do something good.
"We know we are favourites [for the FA Cup]. We know that puts more pressure on us but we are happy with the win in the quarterfinal. There is still a month to go [until the semifinal] and there are some tough games coming up.
"That's why it is important to get some momentum for that moment and go there with belief and in good form."
The one way to keep your important players at the club is to keep winning trophies; if Arsenal can take the FA Cup, and go as close as possible with the Premier League, or even win it, as well then the likes of Vermaelen, even with little playing time, will be more than happy to remain - there is nothing that keeps a player happy more than winning trophies consistently.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales