Bank of New Zealand Lifts 3-Year Freeze on Interest Rate by 0.25% to 2.75%
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 13, 2014 3:52 PM EST
The remains of a building can be seen on a closed and deserted street in the former central business district of the New Zealand city of Christchurch
The Reserve Bank of New Zealand raised on Thursday the official cash rate (OCR) by 0.25 basis points to 2.275 per cent. It ended the three-year freeze on interest rates imposed by the national government after the Christchurch earthquake.
Reserve Bank Governor Graeme Wheeler said, "By increasing the OCR as needed to keep future average inflation hear the 2,0 per cent target midpoint, the bank is seeking to ensure that the economic expansion can be sustained."
He hinted that there would be rate hikes in the future to curb inflation.
"The speed and extent to which the OCR will be raised will depend on economic data and our continuing assessment of emerging inflationary pressures," Mr Wheeler added.
With this development, New Zealand becomes the first developed country in 2014 to leave record-low lending rates.
Mr Wheeler said the central bank also plans to remove stimulus faster than previously forecast in a bid to contain prices. He added that it is necessary to increase interest rates toward a level that they no longer add to demand.
He said the central bank expects to further raise the rates by 2 percentage points more over two years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?