SpiceJet places $4.4 Billion Order for 42 Boeing 737s
March 13, 2014 3:31 PM EST
Budget airline SpiceJet(SPJT.BO) has signed a deal with Boeing Co (BA.N) to buy 42 737 MAX jets in a deal worth $4.4 billion at list prices, the company said on Wednesday, sending its shares up more than 7 percent during trade.
A SpiceJet passenger plane moves on the runway at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel international airport in Ahmedabad on 8 January, 2014.
Delivery of the new jets will begin in 2018, S.L. Narayanan, chief financial officer at SpiceJet's parent, Sun Group, told reporters at an air show in Hyderabad.
Payments for the order will be closer to the delivery date, he said, declining to give further details on funding plans.
Narayanan said some payments for the latest order would be adjusted against the 12 Boeing 737 NG planes from an ongoing order SpiceJet will be swapping for 737 MAX.
SpiceJet, controlled by billionaire Kalanithi Maran's Sun Group, is seen as a target for investors after India relaxed restrictions on investment by foreign airlines. It has reported interest from potential investors but has not named any.
The long-awaited fleet renewal and the possible stake sale have become intertwined, industry sources have said, with the airline seen as potentially more attractive once it gets the new jets.
Like its domestic rivals, SpiceJet has been losing money on the back of costly fuel and a weak rupee and India's fourth-biggest airline by domestic market share has eyed new planes and new investments to revive its fortunes.
Boeing's 737 MAX aircraft offer fuel savings compared to SpiceJet's existing fleet of current-generation Boeing 737s, industry sources said in January.
SpiceJet reported a quarterly loss in February, hit by high fuel costs and a weak local currency, and industry consultancy the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation estimates it is on course to post its biggest-ever annual loss.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide