SpiceJet places $4.4 Billion Order for 42 Boeing 737s
March 13, 2014 3:31 PM EST
Budget airline SpiceJet(SPJT.BO) has signed a deal with Boeing Co (BA.N) to buy 42 737 MAX jets in a deal worth $4.4 billion at list prices, the company said on Wednesday, sending its shares up more than 7 percent during trade.
A SpiceJet passenger plane moves on the runway at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel international airport in Ahmedabad on 8 January, 2014.
Delivery of the new jets will begin in 2018, S.L. Narayanan, chief financial officer at SpiceJet's parent, Sun Group, told reporters at an air show in Hyderabad.
Payments for the order will be closer to the delivery date, he said, declining to give further details on funding plans.
Narayanan said some payments for the latest order would be adjusted against the 12 Boeing 737 NG planes from an ongoing order SpiceJet will be swapping for 737 MAX.
SpiceJet, controlled by billionaire Kalanithi Maran's Sun Group, is seen as a target for investors after India relaxed restrictions on investment by foreign airlines. It has reported interest from potential investors but has not named any.
The long-awaited fleet renewal and the possible stake sale have become intertwined, industry sources have said, with the airline seen as potentially more attractive once it gets the new jets.
Like its domestic rivals, SpiceJet has been losing money on the back of costly fuel and a weak rupee and India's fourth-biggest airline by domestic market share has eyed new planes and new investments to revive its fortunes.
Boeing's 737 MAX aircraft offer fuel savings compared to SpiceJet's existing fleet of current-generation Boeing 737s, industry sources said in January.
SpiceJet reported a quarterly loss in February, hit by high fuel costs and a weak local currency, and industry consultancy the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation estimates it is on course to post its biggest-ever annual loss.
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft