IPL 2014 News: South Africa Demands 180 Crore; UAE a Happy Choice for Franchises, Players
By Shruthi SU | March 13, 2014 3:10 PM EST
One would think it was pure logistics that made the BCCI decide to shift part of the IPL 2014 to UAE and Bangladesh - given the proximity and a tight match schedule, South Africa was way too demanding to choose. But, it seems as though choosing South Africa was way too demanding in terms of expenses that the franchises had to meet alongside the BCCI.
Photo by Ron Gaunt-IPL-SPORTZP
"These venues work out to be cheaper. The intention is to play as many matches as possible in India. The calculations have been done but we will get correct figures only after home ministry's direction," a top BCCI official told the newspaper.
If the final part of the IPL is played in India, BCCI will have to spend only Rs. 60 crore to take the event to UAE or Bangladesh where there's more Indian flavour than perhaps in South Africa. Even when playing conditions are considered, it is similar to the Indian conditions and the players won't find it very difficult to shift around. The franchises and the players can now plan ahead for the event and seem relieved at a decision being finally made.
"It is a good start. The IPL has taken a good first step," chief executive of Delhi Daredevils, Hemant Dua told ESPNcricinfo. "It removes the uncertainty. The advantages of having the tournament in India are obvious from the sponsor and revenue point of view. I do not need to adjust to the demands of the sponsor if the league does not happen in India."
"Playing in familiar conditions is an advantage," a franchise head coach added, talking on behalf of the players. "And once the tournament shifts back to India it would be smooth considering the playing conditions would be virtually similar.
"Four matches in 14 days is not terrible. It is not make or break for a team in the initial part of the tournament. That would also mean it is a pretty relaxed schedule for every team considering you would be staying in one place. The travel headaches would be significantly less."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’