IPL 2014 News: South Africa Demands 180 Crore; UAE a Happy Choice for Franchises, Players
By Shruthi SU | March 13, 2014 3:10 PM EST
One would think it was pure logistics that made the BCCI decide to shift part of the IPL 2014 to UAE and Bangladesh - given the proximity and a tight match schedule, South Africa was way too demanding to choose. But, it seems as though choosing South Africa was way too demanding in terms of expenses that the franchises had to meet alongside the BCCI.
Photo by Ron Gaunt-IPL-SPORTZP
"These venues work out to be cheaper. The intention is to play as many matches as possible in India. The calculations have been done but we will get correct figures only after home ministry's direction," a top BCCI official told the newspaper.
If the final part of the IPL is played in India, BCCI will have to spend only Rs. 60 crore to take the event to UAE or Bangladesh where there's more Indian flavour than perhaps in South Africa. Even when playing conditions are considered, it is similar to the Indian conditions and the players won't find it very difficult to shift around. The franchises and the players can now plan ahead for the event and seem relieved at a decision being finally made.
"It is a good start. The IPL has taken a good first step," chief executive of Delhi Daredevils, Hemant Dua told ESPNcricinfo. "It removes the uncertainty. The advantages of having the tournament in India are obvious from the sponsor and revenue point of view. I do not need to adjust to the demands of the sponsor if the league does not happen in India."
"Playing in familiar conditions is an advantage," a franchise head coach added, talking on behalf of the players. "And once the tournament shifts back to India it would be smooth considering the playing conditions would be virtually similar.
"Four matches in 14 days is not terrible. It is not make or break for a team in the initial part of the tournament. That would also mean it is a pretty relaxed schedule for every team considering you would be staying in one place. The travel headaches would be significantly less."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge