IPL 2014 News: South Africa Demands 180 Crore; UAE a Happy Choice for Franchises, Players
By Shruthi SU | March 13, 2014 3:10 PM EST
One would think it was pure logistics that made the BCCI decide to shift part of the IPL 2014 to UAE and Bangladesh - given the proximity and a tight match schedule, South Africa was way too demanding to choose. But, it seems as though choosing South Africa was way too demanding in terms of expenses that the franchises had to meet alongside the BCCI.
Photo by Ron Gaunt-IPL-SPORTZP
"These venues work out to be cheaper. The intention is to play as many matches as possible in India. The calculations have been done but we will get correct figures only after home ministry's direction," a top BCCI official told the newspaper.
If the final part of the IPL is played in India, BCCI will have to spend only Rs. 60 crore to take the event to UAE or Bangladesh where there's more Indian flavour than perhaps in South Africa. Even when playing conditions are considered, it is similar to the Indian conditions and the players won't find it very difficult to shift around. The franchises and the players can now plan ahead for the event and seem relieved at a decision being finally made.
"It is a good start. The IPL has taken a good first step," chief executive of Delhi Daredevils, Hemant Dua told ESPNcricinfo. "It removes the uncertainty. The advantages of having the tournament in India are obvious from the sponsor and revenue point of view. I do not need to adjust to the demands of the sponsor if the league does not happen in India."
"Playing in familiar conditions is an advantage," a franchise head coach added, talking on behalf of the players. "And once the tournament shifts back to India it would be smooth considering the playing conditions would be virtually similar.
"Four matches in 14 days is not terrible. It is not make or break for a team in the initial part of the tournament. That would also mean it is a pretty relaxed schedule for every team considering you would be staying in one place. The travel headaches would be significantly less."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast