‘Breaking Bad’ Spin-Off ‘Better Call Saul’: Filming Yet to Begin, Saul on Lighter Side, While Mike on Dark Side
By Anshu Shrivastava | March 13, 2014 2:40 PM EST
It is confirmed that Jonathan Banks has signed-up to star in the spinoff of AMC's cult drama series, "Breaking Bad" -- "Better Call Saul." The actor, 67, will be reprising his "Breaking Bad" character, Mike Ehrmantraut.
During a live web-chat question and answer session, organised by The Daily News, Mr Banks has said that they have yet to start filming "Better Call Saul." However, he has received outlines for the first two episodes.
"My guess is that Saul will be the lighter side as far as humour goes, and the dark side would be Mike. And I look forward to that," Mr Banks said. Talking about what he loves about his character, Mr Banks said that he loves the "mystery of Mike."
"I love that he can be tender, when the reality was that he was a murderous, drug-dealing bad guy. Unlike some of the other characters, he knew that. He knew his soul was lost," Mr Banks said.
In addition to Bob Odenkirk and Mr Bank, Aaron Paul, who portrayed Jesse Pinkman, is also in serious talks to star in "Better Call Saul." Dean Norris, however, is not interested in doing this prequel of "Breaking Bad," as he is not a fan of revisiting something that has already been done. Also, Norris is busy with his new acting assignment, "Under the Dome."
To Huffington Post, Mr Banks has said that he does not know who else from the "Breaking Bad" cast is returning for "Better Call Saul." Vince Gilligan, creator of "Better Call Saul," had said that he would ask "Breaking Bad" stars to do cameos in the new show.
"Better Call Saul" is set in the time before Saul Goodman met Walter White. According to AMC's press statement: "Plans call for Saul to be a one-hour prequel that will focus on the evolution of the popular Saul Goodman character before he ever became Walter White's lawyer."
Odenkirk had said that the filming of "Better Call Saul" will also take place in Albequerque.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales