‘Breaking Bad’ Spin-Off ‘Better Call Saul’: Filming Yet to Begin, Saul on Lighter Side, While Mike on Dark Side
By Anshu Shrivastava | March 13, 2014 2:40 PM EST
It is confirmed that Jonathan Banks has signed-up to star in the spinoff of AMC's cult drama series, "Breaking Bad" -- "Better Call Saul." The actor, 67, will be reprising his "Breaking Bad" character, Mike Ehrmantraut.
During a live web-chat question and answer session, organised by The Daily News, Mr Banks has said that they have yet to start filming "Better Call Saul." However, he has received outlines for the first two episodes.
"My guess is that Saul will be the lighter side as far as humour goes, and the dark side would be Mike. And I look forward to that," Mr Banks said. Talking about what he loves about his character, Mr Banks said that he loves the "mystery of Mike."
"I love that he can be tender, when the reality was that he was a murderous, drug-dealing bad guy. Unlike some of the other characters, he knew that. He knew his soul was lost," Mr Banks said.
In addition to Bob Odenkirk and Mr Bank, Aaron Paul, who portrayed Jesse Pinkman, is also in serious talks to star in "Better Call Saul." Dean Norris, however, is not interested in doing this prequel of "Breaking Bad," as he is not a fan of revisiting something that has already been done. Also, Norris is busy with his new acting assignment, "Under the Dome."
To Huffington Post, Mr Banks has said that he does not know who else from the "Breaking Bad" cast is returning for "Better Call Saul." Vince Gilligan, creator of "Better Call Saul," had said that he would ask "Breaking Bad" stars to do cameos in the new show.
"Better Call Saul" is set in the time before Saul Goodman met Walter White. According to AMC's press statement: "Plans call for Saul to be a one-hour prequel that will focus on the evolution of the popular Saul Goodman character before he ever became Walter White's lawyer."
Odenkirk had said that the filming of "Better Call Saul" will also take place in Albequerque.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]