Malaysia Airlines MH370: Magic Carpet Used to Locate MH370
By Athena Yenko | March 13, 2014 1:13 PM EST
With all the confusion, mystery and desperation surrounding the missing Malaysian flight MH370, all means were being explored.
In Malaysia, a local bomoh (shaman or a witch doctor), Ibrahim Mat Zin, conducted a ritual in Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).
The bomoh who was more popularly known as Raja Bomoh Sedunia Nujum VIP and with his title of Datuk Mahaguru, used water, two coconuts, a magical walking stick and carpet. He performed the ritual with two of his assistants riding the magic carpet - one rowing and the other removing the water.
"The purpose of the rituals is to weaken the bad spirits so that the rescuers can find the plane if it indeed had crashed," the bomoh told reporters at the airport.
The bomoh explained that the ritual they conducted was being used for many generations. Bomoh Ibrahim had also performed another ritual on Monday using his bamboo binoculars and a fish trap hook.
Apparently, Malaysians themselves were not happy with what the bomoh was doing. Malaysian Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin called the magic carpet embarrassing and called for authorities to arrest Bomoh Ibrahim.
"Somebody should arrest those magic carpet bomohs. Memalukan (embarassing)," Mr Jamaluddin tweeted.
Mr Jamaluddin said he already called the attention of Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom about Bomoh Ibrahim.
"Beliau akan tangani bomoh2 magic carpet (Jamil will handle the magic carpet bomohs)." Malaysian netizens were also critical of Bomoh Ibrahim's spiritual methods.
"Bomoh kelapa (coconut), this is air traffic controller ... please keep your altitude and your position is 100° 54 longitude ... fly straight to your destination ... When landed please see your psychiatrist and remember your bed and room number ... good day," Mhd Amir posted on Facebook.
Another user commented that the bomoh together with his supporters were "cheap publicity seekers". For netizen Lim Siong Boon, such magic carpet gimmickry "brought more shame to the country".
Netizen Azlina Ahmad, even if she thought the rituals were harmless, she found the rituals as form entertainment saying "I want to see whether the tikar (mat) can fly or not. Excited to see."
However, there were also those who showed support to the Bomoh and his group.
Netizen Napsiah Wan Salleh said that even countries in the west employ clairvoyants when all 'logical' methods failed.
On Wednesday, Jakim director-general Datuk Haji Othman Mustapha said that alternative methods from local bomohs are acceptable so long as the rituals are within the teachings of Islam. However, he said that Bomoh Ibrahim's ways are disrespectful of Islamic beliefs.
"Ibrahim Mat Zin's bomoh practices are not in accordance with Islamic beliefs as they contain elements of syirik (polytheism), khurafat (superstition) and lies. Islam is scientific and rejects all tahyul (supernatural) and superstitious acts," he said.
He based his comments to the findings of a 2004 Jakim panel meeting on Islamic beliefs. The used of coconut, magic walking stick and carper constitutes superstitious beliefs.
Mr Mustapha also acknowledged foreign aid volunteers for their scientific and technologically advanced tools in searching the missing MH370.
"Though there have been no clues as to the plane's whereabouts, we must not give up. I'm confident we will find clues about the missing plane mystery with Allah's will."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2