Malaysia Airlines MH370: Magic Carpet Used to Locate MH370
By Athena Yenko | March 13, 2014 1:13 PM EST
With all the confusion, mystery and desperation surrounding the missing Malaysian flight MH370, all means were being explored.
In Malaysia, a local bomoh (shaman or a witch doctor), Ibrahim Mat Zin, conducted a ritual in Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).
The bomoh who was more popularly known as Raja Bomoh Sedunia Nujum VIP and with his title of Datuk Mahaguru, used water, two coconuts, a magical walking stick and carpet. He performed the ritual with two of his assistants riding the magic carpet - one rowing and the other removing the water.
"The purpose of the rituals is to weaken the bad spirits so that the rescuers can find the plane if it indeed had crashed," the bomoh told reporters at the airport.
The bomoh explained that the ritual they conducted was being used for many generations. Bomoh Ibrahim had also performed another ritual on Monday using his bamboo binoculars and a fish trap hook.
Apparently, Malaysians themselves were not happy with what the bomoh was doing. Malaysian Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin called the magic carpet embarrassing and called for authorities to arrest Bomoh Ibrahim.
"Somebody should arrest those magic carpet bomohs. Memalukan (embarassing)," Mr Jamaluddin tweeted.
Mr Jamaluddin said he already called the attention of Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom about Bomoh Ibrahim.
"Beliau akan tangani bomoh2 magic carpet (Jamil will handle the magic carpet bomohs)." Malaysian netizens were also critical of Bomoh Ibrahim's spiritual methods.
"Bomoh kelapa (coconut), this is air traffic controller ... please keep your altitude and your position is 100° 54 longitude ... fly straight to your destination ... When landed please see your psychiatrist and remember your bed and room number ... good day," Mhd Amir posted on Facebook.
Another user commented that the bomoh together with his supporters were "cheap publicity seekers". For netizen Lim Siong Boon, such magic carpet gimmickry "brought more shame to the country".
Netizen Azlina Ahmad, even if she thought the rituals were harmless, she found the rituals as form entertainment saying "I want to see whether the tikar (mat) can fly or not. Excited to see."
However, there were also those who showed support to the Bomoh and his group.
Netizen Napsiah Wan Salleh said that even countries in the west employ clairvoyants when all 'logical' methods failed.
On Wednesday, Jakim director-general Datuk Haji Othman Mustapha said that alternative methods from local bomohs are acceptable so long as the rituals are within the teachings of Islam. However, he said that Bomoh Ibrahim's ways are disrespectful of Islamic beliefs.
"Ibrahim Mat Zin's bomoh practices are not in accordance with Islamic beliefs as they contain elements of syirik (polytheism), khurafat (superstition) and lies. Islam is scientific and rejects all tahyul (supernatural) and superstitious acts," he said.
He based his comments to the findings of a 2004 Jakim panel meeting on Islamic beliefs. The used of coconut, magic walking stick and carper constitutes superstitious beliefs.
Mr Mustapha also acknowledged foreign aid volunteers for their scientific and technologically advanced tools in searching the missing MH370.
"Though there have been no clues as to the plane's whereabouts, we must not give up. I'm confident we will find clues about the missing plane mystery with Allah's will."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date