London Journalist’s Travel Video of Frozen Canada Goes Viral
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 13, 2014 12:52 PM EST
British journalist James O'Malley has made a travel video during his visit to the Great White North while Canada is still going through one of the harshest weather conditions in its winter history. The 3-minute clip of Mr O'Malley's journey has gone viral.
A resident walks her dog over a snow-covered sidewalk following an overnight snow storm in Toronto, Ontario March 2, 2014. An extreme cold weather alert is in effect in the Toronto area as a U.S. National Weather Service forecast calls for an area of snow extending from the Central Plains into the Northeast.
Mr O'Malley apparently captured the true spirit of Canada while he spent three weeks with his girlfriend's family in Ontario. According to his own description on Reddit, he wrote that his Canadian girlfriend wanted him to experience Canadian winter; CTV News reported. The video, which is aptly titled What I Did in Canada, was uploaded on YouTube on Saturday, March 8. It has been just four days since the upload. However, an apparently innocent travel video went viral as it has already been watched for more than 500,000 times.
The video is a compilation of very short clips of activities that Mr O'Malley did in Canada. It shows him trying his hand in bowling, getting dangerously close to a polar bear and posing in front of a skeleton. While he drives across on a frozen river, he asks what is wrong with Canada. While he takes a bite on a pizza, shoots a gun, experiences snow-storm, watches children play ice-hockey, feeds elves and stands by the Niagara Falls; we wonder how eventful his visit to Canada has been.
Mr O'Malley also maintains a blog where he reckons "about things." One of his blogs titled Taking the Ice Road to Moosonee is all about how he experienced the ice road. He writes that London comes to a halt after "a couple of centimeters of snow" while, in northern Canada, it is just the opposite. He also shares a photo of a road sign where people are warned about the "winter road" as there are "no services," "no assistance" and "no fuel" for 170km.
Many Canadians got extremely happy to see a London-based journalist enjoy his time in the country as one of the Reddit users wrote that Mr O'Malley did more Canadian things than most Canadians ever manage to do.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports