4 Dead, 63 Injured in New York Building Explosion Due to Gas Leak [Video]
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 13, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Two buildings have collapsed in New York leaving four killed and about 63 people injured. Manhattan's East Harlem neighborhood buildings crumbled after an explosion on March 12.
New York City firefighters examine the rubble at an apparent building explosion fire and collapse in the Harlem section of New York, March 12, 2014.
Witnesses claimed a loud explosion was heard near Park Avenue and East 116th Street, affecting 1642, 1644 and 1646 Park Avenue while a couple of buildings collapsed, the Wall Street Journal reported. The Fire Department of New York was initially called at 9:31 a.m. and reached the scene within a couple of minutes. According to the authorities, over 250 personnel with 44 units are presently responding to the scene.
Initial investigation revealed the explosion might have been caused by a gas explosion. The Guardian quoted New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio as saying in a press conference that the explosion was caused by a "gas leak."
He said Con Edison, the utility company, was in the process of shutting off gas sources to the building. The mayor called it the "worst kind" of a "tragedy" as there was no chance to "save people."
According to a witness who claimed he saw the building on fire told CBS News that he had seen a lady running without any shoes on.
Morgan Radford of Al Jazeera reported there was a "gas-like odor" moments before the explosion. Reports noted a resident from a neighboring building did complain about gas odor in Con Edison. The company sent a crew within a couple of minutes and the arrival coincided with the explosion, Company Spokesman Alfonso Quiroz said.
Fire Department Spokesman Michael Parrella called the scene "very active" and "chaotic." Reuters reported that commuter trains had been stopped due to the debris on nearby tracks.
Video Courtesy: FOX News Radio
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS