4 Dead, 63 Injured in New York Building Explosion Due to Gas Leak [Video]
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 13, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Two buildings have collapsed in New York leaving four killed and about 63 people injured. Manhattan's East Harlem neighborhood buildings crumbled after an explosion on March 12.
New York City firefighters examine the rubble at an apparent building explosion fire and collapse in the Harlem section of New York, March 12, 2014.
Witnesses claimed a loud explosion was heard near Park Avenue and East 116th Street, affecting 1642, 1644 and 1646 Park Avenue while a couple of buildings collapsed, the Wall Street Journal reported. The Fire Department of New York was initially called at 9:31 a.m. and reached the scene within a couple of minutes. According to the authorities, over 250 personnel with 44 units are presently responding to the scene.
Initial investigation revealed the explosion might have been caused by a gas explosion. The Guardian quoted New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio as saying in a press conference that the explosion was caused by a "gas leak."
He said Con Edison, the utility company, was in the process of shutting off gas sources to the building. The mayor called it the "worst kind" of a "tragedy" as there was no chance to "save people."
According to a witness who claimed he saw the building on fire told CBS News that he had seen a lady running without any shoes on.
Morgan Radford of Al Jazeera reported there was a "gas-like odor" moments before the explosion. Reports noted a resident from a neighboring building did complain about gas odor in Con Edison. The company sent a crew within a couple of minutes and the arrival coincided with the explosion, Company Spokesman Alfonso Quiroz said.
Fire Department Spokesman Michael Parrella called the scene "very active" and "chaotic." Reuters reported that commuter trains had been stopped due to the debris on nearby tracks.
Video Courtesy: FOX News Radio
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans