4 Dead, 63 Injured in New York Building Explosion Due to Gas Leak [Video]
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 13, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Two buildings have collapsed in New York leaving four killed and about 63 people injured. Manhattan's East Harlem neighborhood buildings crumbled after an explosion on March 12.
New York City firefighters examine the rubble at an apparent building explosion fire and collapse in the Harlem section of New York, March 12, 2014.
Witnesses claimed a loud explosion was heard near Park Avenue and East 116th Street, affecting 1642, 1644 and 1646 Park Avenue while a couple of buildings collapsed, the Wall Street Journal reported. The Fire Department of New York was initially called at 9:31 a.m. and reached the scene within a couple of minutes. According to the authorities, over 250 personnel with 44 units are presently responding to the scene.
Initial investigation revealed the explosion might have been caused by a gas explosion. The Guardian quoted New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio as saying in a press conference that the explosion was caused by a "gas leak."
He said Con Edison, the utility company, was in the process of shutting off gas sources to the building. The mayor called it the "worst kind" of a "tragedy" as there was no chance to "save people."
According to a witness who claimed he saw the building on fire told CBS News that he had seen a lady running without any shoes on.
Morgan Radford of Al Jazeera reported there was a "gas-like odor" moments before the explosion. Reports noted a resident from a neighboring building did complain about gas odor in Con Edison. The company sent a crew within a couple of minutes and the arrival coincided with the explosion, Company Spokesman Alfonso Quiroz said.
Fire Department Spokesman Michael Parrella called the scene "very active" and "chaotic." Reuters reported that commuter trains had been stopped due to the debris on nearby tracks.
Video Courtesy: FOX News Radio
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- 2014 Lunar Eclipse: Where To Best View Total Lunar Eclipse Peak On October 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money