4 Dead, 63 Injured in New York Building Explosion Due to Gas Leak [Video]
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 13, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Two buildings have collapsed in New York leaving four killed and about 63 people injured. Manhattan's East Harlem neighborhood buildings crumbled after an explosion on March 12.
New York City firefighters examine the rubble at an apparent building explosion fire and collapse in the Harlem section of New York, March 12, 2014.
Witnesses claimed a loud explosion was heard near Park Avenue and East 116th Street, affecting 1642, 1644 and 1646 Park Avenue while a couple of buildings collapsed, the Wall Street Journal reported. The Fire Department of New York was initially called at 9:31 a.m. and reached the scene within a couple of minutes. According to the authorities, over 250 personnel with 44 units are presently responding to the scene.
Initial investigation revealed the explosion might have been caused by a gas explosion. The Guardian quoted New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio as saying in a press conference that the explosion was caused by a "gas leak."
He said Con Edison, the utility company, was in the process of shutting off gas sources to the building. The mayor called it the "worst kind" of a "tragedy" as there was no chance to "save people."
According to a witness who claimed he saw the building on fire told CBS News that he had seen a lady running without any shoes on.
Morgan Radford of Al Jazeera reported there was a "gas-like odor" moments before the explosion. Reports noted a resident from a neighboring building did complain about gas odor in Con Edison. The company sent a crew within a couple of minutes and the arrival coincided with the explosion, Company Spokesman Alfonso Quiroz said.
Fire Department Spokesman Michael Parrella called the scene "very active" and "chaotic." Reuters reported that commuter trains had been stopped due to the debris on nearby tracks.
Video Courtesy: FOX News Radio
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal