Angelina Jolie To Undergo Another Surgery To Decrease Cancer Risk
By Anne Lu | March 13, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Angelina Jolie will be undergoing more surgeries to lower her risk of getting cancer. The Academy Award-winning actor, who has had a preventative double mastectomy in 2013, revealed that there is one more operation that she needs to undergo for her health.
Actress Angelina Jolie arrives, wearing a Elie Saab gown, at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
In May 2013, Brad Pitt’s fiancée and the mother of their six children penned an op-ed in the New York Times, admitting that she had undergone surgery after she was tested positive for the BRCA1 gene. She had 87 per cent chance of acquiring breast cancer, but after her operation, it decreased to 5 per cent.
But her health battle isn’t over yet. As a carrier of BRCA1 gene, Jolie, 38, is still at 50 per cent risk of developing ovarian cancer, the same disease that took her mother Marcheline Bertrand’s life at age 56.
In an exclusive interview with Entertainment Weekly, Jolie opened up about her decision to undergo mastectomy, and revealed that she will be going under the knife once more.
“I’m great! I’m very happy I made the decision. I was very fortunate to have great doctors and very, very fortunate to have a good recovery and have a project like ‘Unbroken’ to have something to be really focused on, to be getting healthy for, and to be able to just get right back to work,” she answered when asked how she’s feeling one year after the surgery.
She added that she is up for one more, saying, “There’s still another surgery to have, which I haven’t yet. I’ll, you know, I’ll get advice from all these wonderful people who I’ve been talking to, to get through that next stage.”
She didn’t disclose when she would be having the surgery, though.
Jolie has just finished production on her second directorial project, “Unbroken,” in Sydney. The film is about World War II hero Lou Zamperini who survived a plane crash and spent two years in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp.
She is set to appear in the dark fantasy film “Maleficent” as the titular character in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia