Angelina Jolie To Undergo Another Surgery To Decrease Cancer Risk
By Anne Lu | March 13, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Angelina Jolie will be undergoing more surgeries to lower her risk of getting cancer. The Academy Award-winning actor, who has had a preventative double mastectomy in 2013, revealed that there is one more operation that she needs to undergo for her health.
Actress Angelina Jolie arrives, wearing a Elie Saab gown, at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
In May 2013, Brad Pitt’s fiancée and the mother of their six children penned an op-ed in the New York Times, admitting that she had undergone surgery after she was tested positive for the BRCA1 gene. She had 87 per cent chance of acquiring breast cancer, but after her operation, it decreased to 5 per cent.
But her health battle isn’t over yet. As a carrier of BRCA1 gene, Jolie, 38, is still at 50 per cent risk of developing ovarian cancer, the same disease that took her mother Marcheline Bertrand’s life at age 56.
In an exclusive interview with Entertainment Weekly, Jolie opened up about her decision to undergo mastectomy, and revealed that she will be going under the knife once more.
“I’m great! I’m very happy I made the decision. I was very fortunate to have great doctors and very, very fortunate to have a good recovery and have a project like ‘Unbroken’ to have something to be really focused on, to be getting healthy for, and to be able to just get right back to work,” she answered when asked how she’s feeling one year after the surgery.
She added that she is up for one more, saying, “There’s still another surgery to have, which I haven’t yet. I’ll, you know, I’ll get advice from all these wonderful people who I’ve been talking to, to get through that next stage.”
She didn’t disclose when she would be having the surgery, though.
Jolie has just finished production on her second directorial project, “Unbroken,” in Sydney. The film is about World War II hero Lou Zamperini who survived a plane crash and spent two years in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp.
She is set to appear in the dark fantasy film “Maleficent” as the titular character in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage