Angelina Jolie To Undergo Another Surgery To Decrease Cancer Risk
By Anne Lu | March 13, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Angelina Jolie will be undergoing more surgeries to lower her risk of getting cancer. The Academy Award-winning actor, who has had a preventative double mastectomy in 2013, revealed that there is one more operation that she needs to undergo for her health.
Actress Angelina Jolie arrives, wearing a Elie Saab gown, at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
In May 2013, Brad Pitt’s fiancée and the mother of their six children penned an op-ed in the New York Times, admitting that she had undergone surgery after she was tested positive for the BRCA1 gene. She had 87 per cent chance of acquiring breast cancer, but after her operation, it decreased to 5 per cent.
But her health battle isn’t over yet. As a carrier of BRCA1 gene, Jolie, 38, is still at 50 per cent risk of developing ovarian cancer, the same disease that took her mother Marcheline Bertrand’s life at age 56.
In an exclusive interview with Entertainment Weekly, Jolie opened up about her decision to undergo mastectomy, and revealed that she will be going under the knife once more.
“I’m great! I’m very happy I made the decision. I was very fortunate to have great doctors and very, very fortunate to have a good recovery and have a project like ‘Unbroken’ to have something to be really focused on, to be getting healthy for, and to be able to just get right back to work,” she answered when asked how she’s feeling one year after the surgery.
She added that she is up for one more, saying, “There’s still another surgery to have, which I haven’t yet. I’ll, you know, I’ll get advice from all these wonderful people who I’ve been talking to, to get through that next stage.”
She didn’t disclose when she would be having the surgery, though.
Jolie has just finished production on her second directorial project, “Unbroken,” in Sydney. The film is about World War II hero Lou Zamperini who survived a plane crash and spent two years in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp.
She is set to appear in the dark fantasy film “Maleficent” as the titular character in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast