Angelina Jolie To Undergo Another Surgery To Decrease Cancer Risk
By Anne Lu | March 13, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Angelina Jolie will be undergoing more surgeries to lower her risk of getting cancer. The Academy Award-winning actor, who has had a preventative double mastectomy in 2013, revealed that there is one more operation that she needs to undergo for her health.
Actress Angelina Jolie arrives, wearing a Elie Saab gown, at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
In May 2013, Brad Pitt’s fiancée and the mother of their six children penned an op-ed in the New York Times, admitting that she had undergone surgery after she was tested positive for the BRCA1 gene. She had 87 per cent chance of acquiring breast cancer, but after her operation, it decreased to 5 per cent.
But her health battle isn’t over yet. As a carrier of BRCA1 gene, Jolie, 38, is still at 50 per cent risk of developing ovarian cancer, the same disease that took her mother Marcheline Bertrand’s life at age 56.
In an exclusive interview with Entertainment Weekly, Jolie opened up about her decision to undergo mastectomy, and revealed that she will be going under the knife once more.
“I’m great! I’m very happy I made the decision. I was very fortunate to have great doctors and very, very fortunate to have a good recovery and have a project like ‘Unbroken’ to have something to be really focused on, to be getting healthy for, and to be able to just get right back to work,” she answered when asked how she’s feeling one year after the surgery.
She added that she is up for one more, saying, “There’s still another surgery to have, which I haven’t yet. I’ll, you know, I’ll get advice from all these wonderful people who I’ve been talking to, to get through that next stage.”
She didn’t disclose when she would be having the surgery, though.
Jolie has just finished production on her second directorial project, “Unbroken,” in Sydney. The film is about World War II hero Lou Zamperini who survived a plane crash and spent two years in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp.
She is set to appear in the dark fantasy film “Maleficent” as the titular character in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date