Chevron Pushes Start-up Date for First Gas from Gorgon to Mid-2015; LNG Project Almost 80% Complete
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 13, 2014 9:58 AM EST
Chevron Corporation gasoline tank trucks deliver gas to a Chevron service station in Redondo Beach, California August 10, 2005.
Oil giant Chevron, in an update on Wednesday, disclosed that with the completion of the offshore pipelaying at its liquefied natural gas (LNG) project in Western Australia, the country's largest gas project, Gorgon, is almost 80 per cent complete.
About two-thirds of its LNG output has been committed to buyers, with 65 per cent of the natural gas committed under long-term contracts.
But start-up date for the first flow of gas from Gorgon was moved back to mid-2015 from the first quarter of the same year.
While the delay is just by about one quarter, the cost of the venture has soared past the original $37 billion when it was approved in 2009.
Beside Gorgon is Chevron's Wheatstone LNG project, costing $A29 billion, which is 30 per cent complete. About 85 per cent of its LNG output is committed under long-term contracts.
Gorgon has provided employment for about 6,000 people deployed at Barrow Island, while 3,800 workers are assigned at Wheatstone.
When at full capacity, the two LNG facilities would produce 400,000 barrels of LNG daily.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation