Chevron Pushes Start-up Date for First Gas from Gorgon to Mid-2015; LNG Project Almost 80% Complete
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 13, 2014 9:58 AM EST
Chevron Corporation gasoline tank trucks deliver gas to a Chevron service station in Redondo Beach, California August 10, 2005.
Oil giant Chevron, in an update on Wednesday, disclosed that with the completion of the offshore pipelaying at its liquefied natural gas (LNG) project in Western Australia, the country's largest gas project, Gorgon, is almost 80 per cent complete.
About two-thirds of its LNG output has been committed to buyers, with 65 per cent of the natural gas committed under long-term contracts.
But start-up date for the first flow of gas from Gorgon was moved back to mid-2015 from the first quarter of the same year.
While the delay is just by about one quarter, the cost of the venture has soared past the original $37 billion when it was approved in 2009.
Beside Gorgon is Chevron's Wheatstone LNG project, costing $A29 billion, which is 30 per cent complete. About 85 per cent of its LNG output is committed under long-term contracts.
Gorgon has provided employment for about 6,000 people deployed at Barrow Island, while 3,800 workers are assigned at Wheatstone.
When at full capacity, the two LNG facilities would produce 400,000 barrels of LNG daily.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members