Chevron Pushes Start-up Date for First Gas from Gorgon to Mid-2015; LNG Project Almost 80% Complete
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 13, 2014 9:58 AM EST
Chevron Corporation gasoline tank trucks deliver gas to a Chevron service station in Redondo Beach, California August 10, 2005.
Oil giant Chevron, in an update on Wednesday, disclosed that with the completion of the offshore pipelaying at its liquefied natural gas (LNG) project in Western Australia, the country's largest gas project, Gorgon, is almost 80 per cent complete.
About two-thirds of its LNG output has been committed to buyers, with 65 per cent of the natural gas committed under long-term contracts.
But start-up date for the first flow of gas from Gorgon was moved back to mid-2015 from the first quarter of the same year.
While the delay is just by about one quarter, the cost of the venture has soared past the original $37 billion when it was approved in 2009.
Beside Gorgon is Chevron's Wheatstone LNG project, costing $A29 billion, which is 30 per cent complete. About 85 per cent of its LNG output is committed under long-term contracts.
Gorgon has provided employment for about 6,000 people deployed at Barrow Island, while 3,800 workers are assigned at Wheatstone.
When at full capacity, the two LNG facilities would produce 400,000 barrels of LNG daily.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans