Top 5 Flight Tracker Apps for iPhone, Android Devices
By Aditya Bhat | March 13, 2014 2:49 AM EST
As the location of the ill-fated Beijing-bound Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 is still unknown, people travelling by flight will certainly feel a tad apprehensive and will certainly want to be connected with their family and friends.
Flight Tracker apps help travellers to have hassle free flight travel.
Technology has helped mankind in many ways, and now it will also come to our rescue when people want to know if their flights are delayed or what height they are travelling at or the location of the aircraft. These apps also provide you the best places to have your lunch or dinner when you have a connecting flight.
1. FlightTrack 5 - This app allows the user to add search flights by number or route. Users will also get push notifications for flight updates and also view terminal gate maps. Users will also be able to add travellers and multiple flights and view the progression in one workflow. It also gives real-time info on departure, delays, cancellations, gate numbers and helps to find alternate flights in emergency. Flights from around the world can be tracked.
It allows users to add flights to their calendar, also the app adds live flight maps with satellite and weather radar imagery. For North American flights, it shows the airtime, aircraft and speed and altitude. Users can also share their trips. The app costs $4.99 and is available for both iPhone and Android devices.
2. FlightAware Flight Tracker - This app allows users to track their flight status in real-time. All flights around the world can be tracked. The app can be used to track, private and charter flights in U.S. and Canada. Users can search by aircraft registration, route, airline, flight number, city pair, or airport code. The results for the search will involve flight details, full-screen maps with NEXRAD radar overlay. It will also provide you with push notifications for the arrival or departure of a flight, cancellations, changes in the terminals and gates, delays and diversions. This is a free app for both iPhone and Android devices.
3. FlightBoard - This app allows users to check the arrival and departure status of a flight from anywhere in the world. All information provided in the app is in real-time. The information is updated every five minutes. The boards design is inspired by that of the Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. Flight information can be shared to your friends. This app is costs $3.99 and is available on both iPhone and Android devices.
4. FlightView Free Flight Tracker - Users of this app will be able to track flights, and once installed, users will receive alerts through push notifications. Users will also be able to track flights on a map that will show its path and the current weather. Also, it will provide information on terminal, gate and baggage claim. The app can be integrated on calendar, its features can be shared, and also the weather conditions of up to seven days can be viewed. It also provides integration of driving direction to airports with iPhone Maps and Google Maps. The app is for free and is available on both iPhone and Android devices.
5. Flightwise Flight Tracker - This app allows users to track the aircraft and is not for casual travellers but for aircraft enthusiasts and professional aviators. However, this app is limited in its functionality when it comes to international flights as most information will only be close to the US or Canada. This app tracks the real take-off and touchdown times for only the current and past flights. In case the user does not have the flight number, the app allows users to search a flight by aircraft type or by airport.
Users can also have information on the airspeed, aircraft type and altitude. The map gives the user information regarding even the smallest details, relating to the flight path and the slightest change in it. The app costs 99 cents and is available only on iPhone. A Pro version of the app is available for $9.99 and it has more options than the regular version.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone