Woman with Abdominal Pregnancy Delivers Healthy Baby Girl
By Parismita Goswami | March 12, 2014 11:20 PM EST
A woman's pregnancy caused serious complication when she complained of stomach ache that was missed during her previous ultrasound tests. Doctors found the 32-week-old fetus developing outside the woman's uterus and within her abdomen.
Woman with Abdominal Pregnancy Delivers Healthy Baby Girl (Representational Image)
When doctors found the abdominal pregnancy, they immediately operated the woman and found the live fetus in her abdominal cavity, without the amniotic sac which provides nourishment to the fetus. The woman delivered healthy baby girl and was released from the hospital in good condition, researchers in Tanzania said.
Abdominal pregnancies are uncommon. But usually go unnoticed in the ultrasound as the pregnancy appears normal in an ultrasound test, according to researchers. An unnoticed abdominal pregnancy may be a threat to the mother's life and can cause severe bleeding.
"I've seen maybe four or five abdominal pregnancies over the course of 25 years," said Jill Rabin, Chief of Ambulatory Care, Obstetrics and Gynecology at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New York, who was not directly involved with the case.
Some symptoms of abdominal pregnancy include gastrointestinal problems and painful fetal movements, explained Rabin.
If fetus is found growing outside the uterus, doctors make an incision in the mother's abdomen in order to deliver the baby. The placenta is usually left for the body to absorb as removing the placenta may cause heavy bleeding.
"The placenta is attached to something vascular, so the baby is getting fed from the mother's blood supply, just not in the way that we would like, so many of these babies are very small," Rabin added.
The embryo is usually removed by doctors, if abdominal pregnancy is detected in the first trimester. However, in most cases it is not diagnosed until labor pain. "If it's diagnosed in the second trimester, you watch the mother very carefully, but every case is different," Rabin said.
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones