Woman with Abdominal Pregnancy Delivers Healthy Baby Girl
By Parismita Goswami | March 12, 2014 11:20 PM EST
A woman's pregnancy caused serious complication when she complained of stomach ache that was missed during her previous ultrasound tests. Doctors found the 32-week-old fetus developing outside the woman's uterus and within her abdomen.
Woman with Abdominal Pregnancy Delivers Healthy Baby Girl (Representational Image)
When doctors found the abdominal pregnancy, they immediately operated the woman and found the live fetus in her abdominal cavity, without the amniotic sac which provides nourishment to the fetus. The woman delivered healthy baby girl and was released from the hospital in good condition, researchers in Tanzania said.
Abdominal pregnancies are uncommon. But usually go unnoticed in the ultrasound as the pregnancy appears normal in an ultrasound test, according to researchers. An unnoticed abdominal pregnancy may be a threat to the mother's life and can cause severe bleeding.
"I've seen maybe four or five abdominal pregnancies over the course of 25 years," said Jill Rabin, Chief of Ambulatory Care, Obstetrics and Gynecology at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New York, who was not directly involved with the case.
Some symptoms of abdominal pregnancy include gastrointestinal problems and painful fetal movements, explained Rabin.
If fetus is found growing outside the uterus, doctors make an incision in the mother's abdomen in order to deliver the baby. The placenta is usually left for the body to absorb as removing the placenta may cause heavy bleeding.
"The placenta is attached to something vascular, so the baby is getting fed from the mother's blood supply, just not in the way that we would like, so many of these babies are very small," Rabin added.
The embryo is usually removed by doctors, if abdominal pregnancy is detected in the first trimester. However, in most cases it is not diagnosed until labor pain. "If it's diagnosed in the second trimester, you watch the mother very carefully, but every case is different," Rabin said.
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- NASA's MAVEN To Reach Mars After A Ten-Month Journey[Watch Video]