World T20: We're Confident of Defending Title, says West Indies Skipper Darren Sammy
By Shruthi SU | March 12, 2014 9:28 PM EST
West Indies skipper Darren Sammy led his team to a T20 series win against England on Wednesday and is confident his team can defend the World T20 title given that the winning momentum is with them.
"We wanted to leave here with good momentum going into the World Cup," Sammy said.
Two years ago, in Sri Lanka, West Indies beat the home team to be crowned the champions but Sammy admitted it'll be a fresh start in Bangladesh and their main goal is to keep playing good cricket from 16 March to 6 April.
"It is a great feeling to be World Champions but that's all gone," Sammy said. "When we get to Bangladesh it's a fresh start and everyone's got do again what they did in Sri Lanka. Which is to play as a team, play for the people and the goal was to win the title. This time around, it is to defend the title and the lads are quite confident. They've been working hard in order for us to retain that title.
"We will miss the services of Kieron Pollard who is one of our most experienced T20 players. Guys have gained more exposure all over the world and we still have the core in the team. We know once we go out there and perform to our full potential, we will be T20 champions."
Sammy was the hero in the Barbados victory over England on Wednesday but, Chris Gayle did show why he was a star player after all hitting a 30 ball 36.
"Chris is one of the most explosive Twenty20 players and [Dwayne] Smith allows him to play in that manner," Sammy said. "Cricket is all about partnerships, we bowl in partnerships and when we bat, it's very important."
Having many players who star in the IPL while also having a strong spin attack, West Indies will look forward to playing in Bangladesh conditions.
"We have 12 or so West Indians playing in the IPL, which to me is good exposure for us," Sammy added. "The Pollards, Gayles, Bravos, Narines are all marquee players in IPL and to have all these guys in one team, it sounds really good for me as captain.
"Yes, we won the title but it is going to be a challenging task to go out there and defend it. But I believe we have the quality in the dressing room to do that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June