World T20: We're Confident of Defending Title, says West Indies Skipper Darren Sammy
By Shruthi SU | March 12, 2014 9:28 PM EST
West Indies skipper Darren Sammy led his team to a T20 series win against England on Wednesday and is confident his team can defend the World T20 title given that the winning momentum is with them.
"We wanted to leave here with good momentum going into the World Cup," Sammy said.
Two years ago, in Sri Lanka, West Indies beat the home team to be crowned the champions but Sammy admitted it'll be a fresh start in Bangladesh and their main goal is to keep playing good cricket from 16 March to 6 April.
"It is a great feeling to be World Champions but that's all gone," Sammy said. "When we get to Bangladesh it's a fresh start and everyone's got do again what they did in Sri Lanka. Which is to play as a team, play for the people and the goal was to win the title. This time around, it is to defend the title and the lads are quite confident. They've been working hard in order for us to retain that title.
"We will miss the services of Kieron Pollard who is one of our most experienced T20 players. Guys have gained more exposure all over the world and we still have the core in the team. We know once we go out there and perform to our full potential, we will be T20 champions."
Sammy was the hero in the Barbados victory over England on Wednesday but, Chris Gayle did show why he was a star player after all hitting a 30 ball 36.
"Chris is one of the most explosive Twenty20 players and [Dwayne] Smith allows him to play in that manner," Sammy said. "Cricket is all about partnerships, we bowl in partnerships and when we bat, it's very important."
Having many players who star in the IPL while also having a strong spin attack, West Indies will look forward to playing in Bangladesh conditions.
"We have 12 or so West Indians playing in the IPL, which to me is good exposure for us," Sammy added. "The Pollards, Gayles, Bravos, Narines are all marquee players in IPL and to have all these guys in one team, it sounds really good for me as captain.
"Yes, we won the title but it is going to be a challenging task to go out there and defend it. But I believe we have the quality in the dressing room to do that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia