World T20: We're Confident of Defending Title, says West Indies Skipper Darren Sammy
By Shruthi SU | March 12, 2014 9:28 PM EST
West Indies skipper Darren Sammy led his team to a T20 series win against England on Wednesday and is confident his team can defend the World T20 title given that the winning momentum is with them.
"We wanted to leave here with good momentum going into the World Cup," Sammy said.
Two years ago, in Sri Lanka, West Indies beat the home team to be crowned the champions but Sammy admitted it'll be a fresh start in Bangladesh and their main goal is to keep playing good cricket from 16 March to 6 April.
"It is a great feeling to be World Champions but that's all gone," Sammy said. "When we get to Bangladesh it's a fresh start and everyone's got do again what they did in Sri Lanka. Which is to play as a team, play for the people and the goal was to win the title. This time around, it is to defend the title and the lads are quite confident. They've been working hard in order for us to retain that title.
"We will miss the services of Kieron Pollard who is one of our most experienced T20 players. Guys have gained more exposure all over the world and we still have the core in the team. We know once we go out there and perform to our full potential, we will be T20 champions."
Sammy was the hero in the Barbados victory over England on Wednesday but, Chris Gayle did show why he was a star player after all hitting a 30 ball 36.
"Chris is one of the most explosive Twenty20 players and [Dwayne] Smith allows him to play in that manner," Sammy said. "Cricket is all about partnerships, we bowl in partnerships and when we bat, it's very important."
Having many players who star in the IPL while also having a strong spin attack, West Indies will look forward to playing in Bangladesh conditions.
"We have 12 or so West Indians playing in the IPL, which to me is good exposure for us," Sammy added. "The Pollards, Gayles, Bravos, Narines are all marquee players in IPL and to have all these guys in one team, it sounds really good for me as captain.
"Yes, we won the title but it is going to be a challenging task to go out there and defend it. But I believe we have the quality in the dressing room to do that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools