World T20: We're Confident of Defending Title, says West Indies Skipper Darren Sammy
By Shruthi SU | March 12, 2014 9:28 PM EST
West Indies skipper Darren Sammy led his team to a T20 series win against England on Wednesday and is confident his team can defend the World T20 title given that the winning momentum is with them.
"We wanted to leave here with good momentum going into the World Cup," Sammy said.
Two years ago, in Sri Lanka, West Indies beat the home team to be crowned the champions but Sammy admitted it'll be a fresh start in Bangladesh and their main goal is to keep playing good cricket from 16 March to 6 April.
"It is a great feeling to be World Champions but that's all gone," Sammy said. "When we get to Bangladesh it's a fresh start and everyone's got do again what they did in Sri Lanka. Which is to play as a team, play for the people and the goal was to win the title. This time around, it is to defend the title and the lads are quite confident. They've been working hard in order for us to retain that title.
"We will miss the services of Kieron Pollard who is one of our most experienced T20 players. Guys have gained more exposure all over the world and we still have the core in the team. We know once we go out there and perform to our full potential, we will be T20 champions."
Sammy was the hero in the Barbados victory over England on Wednesday but, Chris Gayle did show why he was a star player after all hitting a 30 ball 36.
"Chris is one of the most explosive Twenty20 players and [Dwayne] Smith allows him to play in that manner," Sammy said. "Cricket is all about partnerships, we bowl in partnerships and when we bat, it's very important."
Having many players who star in the IPL while also having a strong spin attack, West Indies will look forward to playing in Bangladesh conditions.
"We have 12 or so West Indians playing in the IPL, which to me is good exposure for us," Sammy added. "The Pollards, Gayles, Bravos, Narines are all marquee players in IPL and to have all these guys in one team, it sounds really good for me as captain.
"Yes, we won the title but it is going to be a challenging task to go out there and defend it. But I believe we have the quality in the dressing room to do that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate