Michael Schumacher Recovering; Showing Small, Encouraging Signs, Says Family
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 12, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher, who has been in a medically induced coma for two and a half months, is showing "small, encouraging signs of recovery," his family members have said.
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher, who has been in a medically induced coma for two and a half months, is showing ‘small, encouraging’ signs of recovery
Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kemh released a statement on behalf of his family on Wednesday because of an increasing interest in his condition in light of the start of the Formula 1 season.
The family hailed the efforts made by doctors at Grenoble hospital in France for what they are doing for Schumacher. They also said that this is a time to be very patient.
This development comes after doctors and relatives looking for any signs of the 45-year-old German returning to consciousness and recovery.
"It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael," the statement said.
The seven-time Formula 1 champion suffered a severe head injury in skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.
At the time of the crash which took place in the resort of Meribel, Schumacher had been skiing at the speed of a very good skier, investigators probing the accident said, according to the BBC.
Investigators have also said that when he fell and hit a rock, he had been skiing off-piste. The events leading up to the crash was reconstructed days after the accident. Experts examined Schumacher's skiing equipment and viewed footage filmed by a camera that was attached to his helmet at the time of the crash.
The sporting legend, who retired from racing in 2012 after a 19-year career was put into a medically induced coma, which is often done by using powerful anesthetics similar to sedation or ventilatiors used during surgery.
Taking a patient out of the medically induced coma is a very delicate process as the coma is often induced to shut down many brain functions, to lower pressure and blood flow.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying