Michael Schumacher Recovering; Showing Small, Encouraging Signs, Says Family
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 12, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher, who has been in a medically induced coma for two and a half months, is showing "small, encouraging signs of recovery," his family members have said.
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher, who has been in a medically induced coma for two and a half months, is showing ‘small, encouraging’ signs of recovery
Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kemh released a statement on behalf of his family on Wednesday because of an increasing interest in his condition in light of the start of the Formula 1 season.
The family hailed the efforts made by doctors at Grenoble hospital in France for what they are doing for Schumacher. They also said that this is a time to be very patient.
This development comes after doctors and relatives looking for any signs of the 45-year-old German returning to consciousness and recovery.
"It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael," the statement said.
The seven-time Formula 1 champion suffered a severe head injury in skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.
At the time of the crash which took place in the resort of Meribel, Schumacher had been skiing at the speed of a very good skier, investigators probing the accident said, according to the BBC.
Investigators have also said that when he fell and hit a rock, he had been skiing off-piste. The events leading up to the crash was reconstructed days after the accident. Experts examined Schumacher's skiing equipment and viewed footage filmed by a camera that was attached to his helmet at the time of the crash.
The sporting legend, who retired from racing in 2012 after a 19-year career was put into a medically induced coma, which is often done by using powerful anesthetics similar to sedation or ventilatiors used during surgery.
Taking a patient out of the medically induced coma is a very delicate process as the coma is often induced to shut down many brain functions, to lower pressure and blood flow.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Why Michael Brown's Killer, Darren Wilson, Lurks In Shadows, 'Fears For His Life' And Hints That He Will Leave Police Force
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More