IPL 7 News: UAE to Host First Leg, with Bangladesh Also an Option
By Shruthi SU | March 12, 2014 8:00 PM EST
The wait is over, it's now official - United Arab Emirates (UAE) will host the first half of IPL7.
Lack of security for the event during elections means a lot of the event will be played near the sands of UAE in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah. At least 16 matches will be held in the UAE from 16 April to 30 April and if the Indian Home Ministry fails to provide security even in May, the event could be continued in Bangladesh.
"The BCCI is pleased to announce that the 2014 Pepsi IPL season will start on Wednesday 16th April 2014, and conclude on Sunday, 1st June 2014," BCCI Secretary Sanjay Patel said in a press release. "For the period from Thursday 1st May to Monday 12th May, BCCI has approached the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, seeking permission to play IPL matches in India in cities where the polling has concluded in the respective state."
"If it is not possible to play in India during this period, IPL matches will be held in Bangladesh.
"BCCI is extremely conscious of the various complexities involved, but hopes for a favourable consideration. BCCI will abide by the decision of the authorities in this regard.
"BCCI is thankful to the Bangladesh Cricket Board and the government of Bangladesh for their support," the release stated.
The cause of concern from May 1 to 12 would be only on 7th and 12th when polls will be held in Kolkata and Hyderabad as announced by the Election Commission.
No matter what, from 13th May onwards, IPL will be back in India for its final leg.
"From Tuesday 13th May [once polling is concluded in all states], the remaining league matches plus the playoffs will be played in India," the release added. "There will be no matches scheduled on the counting day of Friday, 16th May."
UAE was picked as the first venue option owing to proximity, with the IPL franchises able to easily enough pick up from where they left off with the rest of the season when it returns to India. South Africa was an obvious option, but only if the entire IPL was going to be held in the country -- South Africa hosted the IPL in 2009. With the franchises adamant about holding some, if not all, of the IPL 7 matches in India, the governing council were left with the option of choosing either UAE or Bangladesh.
Schedule has not been announced yet, will be announced shortly.
More to Follow
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports