IPL 7 News: UAE to Host First Leg, with Bangladesh Also an Option
By Shruthi SU | March 12, 2014 8:00 PM EST
The wait is over, it's now official - United Arab Emirates (UAE) will host the first half of IPL7.
Lack of security for the event during elections means a lot of the event will be played near the sands of UAE in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah. At least 16 matches will be held in the UAE from 16 April to 30 April and if the Indian Home Ministry fails to provide security even in May, the event could be continued in Bangladesh.
"The BCCI is pleased to announce that the 2014 Pepsi IPL season will start on Wednesday 16th April 2014, and conclude on Sunday, 1st June 2014," BCCI Secretary Sanjay Patel said in a press release. "For the period from Thursday 1st May to Monday 12th May, BCCI has approached the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, seeking permission to play IPL matches in India in cities where the polling has concluded in the respective state."
"If it is not possible to play in India during this period, IPL matches will be held in Bangladesh.
"BCCI is extremely conscious of the various complexities involved, but hopes for a favourable consideration. BCCI will abide by the decision of the authorities in this regard.
"BCCI is thankful to the Bangladesh Cricket Board and the government of Bangladesh for their support," the release stated.
The cause of concern from May 1 to 12 would be only on 7th and 12th when polls will be held in Kolkata and Hyderabad as announced by the Election Commission.
No matter what, from 13th May onwards, IPL will be back in India for its final leg.
"From Tuesday 13th May [once polling is concluded in all states], the remaining league matches plus the playoffs will be played in India," the release added. "There will be no matches scheduled on the counting day of Friday, 16th May."
UAE was picked as the first venue option owing to proximity, with the IPL franchises able to easily enough pick up from where they left off with the rest of the season when it returns to India. South Africa was an obvious option, but only if the entire IPL was going to be held in the country -- South Africa hosted the IPL in 2009. With the franchises adamant about holding some, if not all, of the IPL 7 matches in India, the governing council were left with the option of choosing either UAE or Bangladesh.
Schedule has not been announced yet, will be announced shortly.
More to Follow
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Believes Wilshere's Performance Against City Not Enough For Man Utd Legend Paul Scholes
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date