With Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Shocking Disappearance, Discover Other Mysterious Airplane Disasters in History
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 12, 2014 7:47 PM EST
Not known to many, Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is not the only tragedy that had left many aviation experts mystified and confounded. Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is just one of several other mysterious airplane disasters in recent aviation history. It is highly unusual for a huge jetliner to vanish in thin air, but apparently, the baffling disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 wouldn't really be the first mystery of its kind.
A woman writes a message of support and hope for the passengers of the missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 on a banner at Kuala Lumpur International Airport March 12, 2014. The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 jetliner expanded on Wednesday to cover an area stretching from China to the Andaman Sea, with authorities no closer to explaining what happened to the plane or the 239 people on board.
American weekly news magazine TIME reported six mysterious airplane disasters in the aviation history that have left many experts lost and oblivious for many years. The experts haven't even figured out the real cause of these aviation tragedies. Until these experts figured out why or how they happened, they will remain unsolved and a mystery to everyone.
Air France Flight 447 - In 2009, an Airbus A330 with a total of 228 people, including crew, on board crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. The airbus was en route to Paris from Rio de Janeiro. All passengers were killed.
Amelia Earhart - Who would forget about the disappearance of American aviation innovator and author Amelia Earhart? She was the first woman to fly alone through the Atlantic Ocean. In 1937, Earhart flew in a Lockheed Model 10 Electra in an attempt to circumnavigate the globe but she disappeared above the central Pacific Ocean near Howland Island. Not a single smidgeon of her plane or wreckage was found.
British South American Airways - In 1947, a group of 11 people boarded a flight that had gone missing in the Andes Mountains. It was only after 51 years that the rubble and remains of the airplane were discovered by Argentinian rock climbers.
Deadly Bermuda Triangle - The Bermuda Triangle or also known as the Devil's Triangle is found on the western part of the North Atlantic Ocean surrounded by Florida, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda. In the years 1945 to 1949, four aircraft incidents to have taken place within the Bermuda Triangle.
Read more of this story at Time.com.
Something happened to the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370
A reliable source who refused to be identified told CNN that Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 lost all communication nearly an hour after it took off in Kuala Lumpur. However, even though the jetliner no longer send signals about its altitude, speed, and direction, it was still seen on the radar for one hour and 10 minutes.
Former 777 pilot Mark Weiss told CNN that something indeed happened to the jetliner. "Something happened to that airplane, that was obviously out of norm, that caused it to depart from its normal flight path," Mr. Weiss said.
Day 5 after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has disappeared
March 12 marks the fifth day since the jetliner had gone missing, but there are still no new leads that could help the experts and authorities solve the tragedy. While some families and relatives of those people on board are holding out their courage and optimism for some good news, some are also beginning to lose their hope and get livid because the tragedy remains unsolved.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- 7-Year Old Buried Alive By 'Family' Crawls Out From Under The Ground
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble