Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Co-Pilot Smoked, Flirted with Teen Girls inside Cockpit in 2011; Behavior Questioned
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 12, 2014 6:56 PM EST
The behavior of the 27-year-old co-pilot of the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 has been questioned as it has emerged that he had once invited teenage girls inside the cockpit and smoked during the flight.
Screen shot from Channel 9 website: It was revealed that the co-pilot of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 smoked and flirted with teen girls inside cockpit in 2011.
The incident took place in 2011 in an international flight.
Jonti Roos, one of the South African tourists who were invited inside the cockpit, told Australia's Channel 9 that the pilots were smoking and were also posing for photos. The teenage girls stayed inside the cockpit for the entire duration of the flight.
Both smoking and passengers visiting the cockpit are strictly prohibited in most of the airlines, including Malaysia Airlines.
The airline officials said they were 'shocked' to see pictures of the first officer posing with the tourists and by Roos' claim that he smoked on the flight deck and also allowed them to stay inside the cockpit during take-off and landing, against the rules of the airline.
"We have not been able to confirm the validity of the pictures and videos of the alleged incident" read a statement from the airlines. "As you are aware, we are in the midst of a crisis, and we do not want our attention to be diverted."
Four days after the Boeing 777 disappeared on its journey from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people onboard, the area for search and rescue has been extended. While curiosity has grown, as has frustration and anger, with the pace at which the story is developing. Rescue efforts from 10 different countries have not been able to spot the wreckage of the airplane.
While the mystery surrounding the sudden disappearance of the airline has sparked frenzy throughout the world, the news that the behavior of the co-pilot is likely to raise further rage and fury among people.
Roos told CNN and Australian Channel 9 that she and a friend were waiting for a flight in 2011, when Hamid and another pilot asked them if they wanted to come and sit inside the cockpit during the flight.
Roos said she and her friend agreed but initially went to their assigned seats when they boarded. Later they were escorted to the cockpit area and they were there for the rest of the flight.
"Throughout the whole flight they were talking to us," Roos said in the interview. "They were actually smoking, which I don't think they are allowed to be doing. And they were taking photos of us in the cockpit while they were flying. I was just completely shocked I couldn't believe it."
A Current Affair showed images of the young women inside the cockpit, seemingly having fun with the Malaysia Airlines pilots.
"I know for the whole time they weren't facing the front of the plane and actually flying," she said. "Possibly a little bit sleazy - they asked us if we couldn't arrange our trip to stay in Kuala Lumpur for a few nights so they could take us out.
"When I realized it was the exact same co-pilot (as missing flight MH370)... that was quite shocking," she added.
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June