Free Beer For Every Rat Killed: NZ Philanthropist Gareth Morgan Issues Challenge to University Students
By Reissa Su | March 12, 2014 6:09 PM EST
New Zealander Gareth Morgan, a philanthropist from Wellington, has urged the university students to catch and kill rats in exchange for free beer.
Morgan has already campaigned in the past to get rid of cats and save birds. His offer has brought down the price of beer in student bars. Those who wish to get free drinks will have to pay up with a dead rat.
Carlsberg beer bottles are pictured in a beer museum at the Carlsberg headquarters in Copenhagen, November 5, 2013. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer
Victoria University's Science University has spread this offer to its students hoping the prize of free drinks will help eradicate rats. The university is willing to provide a "humane" rat trap free of charge to get the job done.
The science society's President Jonathan Musther said there are some people who will be willing to take on the offer to get the drinks or the rewards. But he believes there are many students, especially those studying ecology, who care about New Zealand's native animal and plant species.
Morgan was more than happy to pay for all the drinks it would take for the every student who turns in dead rats. He is passionate about New Zealand wildlife. He believes the university's offer will be difficult for students to refuse. It is their way of trying to get people involved in preserving wildlife.
Rats are urban pests so students can easily catch them by setting up traps in their flats.
In 2013, Morgan's anti-cat campaign was criticized since eliminating cats could have led to the increase of the rat population. The philanthropist dismissed the notion and said there was no evidence whatsoever. Morgan explained that 20 percent of rats end up as prey for cats.
Trapping rats is part of Morgan's project to make backyards in Wellington safe for native wildlife. According to a student , giving away freebies can attract people but when they find out what they have to do in order to get them, they might be taken aback or change their minds.
Morgan will announce the free drink for every rat campaign at the Hunter Lounge on March 13. A hundred traps will be prepared to hand out to students who are willing to be rat hunters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'