Free Beer For Every Rat Killed: NZ Philanthropist Gareth Morgan Issues Challenge to University Students
By Reissa Su | March 12, 2014 6:09 PM EST
New Zealander Gareth Morgan, a philanthropist from Wellington, has urged the university students to catch and kill rats in exchange for free beer.
Morgan has already campaigned in the past to get rid of cats and save birds. His offer has brought down the price of beer in student bars. Those who wish to get free drinks will have to pay up with a dead rat.
Carlsberg beer bottles are pictured in a beer museum at the Carlsberg headquarters in Copenhagen, November 5, 2013. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer
Victoria University's Science University has spread this offer to its students hoping the prize of free drinks will help eradicate rats. The university is willing to provide a "humane" rat trap free of charge to get the job done.
The science society's President Jonathan Musther said there are some people who will be willing to take on the offer to get the drinks or the rewards. But he believes there are many students, especially those studying ecology, who care about New Zealand's native animal and plant species.
Morgan was more than happy to pay for all the drinks it would take for the every student who turns in dead rats. He is passionate about New Zealand wildlife. He believes the university's offer will be difficult for students to refuse. It is their way of trying to get people involved in preserving wildlife.
Rats are urban pests so students can easily catch them by setting up traps in their flats.
In 2013, Morgan's anti-cat campaign was criticized since eliminating cats could have led to the increase of the rat population. The philanthropist dismissed the notion and said there was no evidence whatsoever. Morgan explained that 20 percent of rats end up as prey for cats.
Trapping rats is part of Morgan's project to make backyards in Wellington safe for native wildlife. According to a student , giving away freebies can attract people but when they find out what they have to do in order to get them, they might be taken aback or change their minds.
Morgan will announce the free drink for every rat campaign at the Hunter Lounge on March 13. A hundred traps will be prepared to hand out to students who are willing to be rat hunters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar