Free Beer For Every Rat Killed: NZ Philanthropist Gareth Morgan Issues Challenge to University Students
By Reissa Su | March 12, 2014 6:09 PM EST
New Zealander Gareth Morgan, a philanthropist from Wellington, has urged the university students to catch and kill rats in exchange for free beer.
Morgan has already campaigned in the past to get rid of cats and save birds. His offer has brought down the price of beer in student bars. Those who wish to get free drinks will have to pay up with a dead rat.
Carlsberg beer bottles are pictured in a beer museum at the Carlsberg headquarters in Copenhagen, November 5, 2013. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer
Victoria University's Science University has spread this offer to its students hoping the prize of free drinks will help eradicate rats. The university is willing to provide a "humane" rat trap free of charge to get the job done.
The science society's President Jonathan Musther said there are some people who will be willing to take on the offer to get the drinks or the rewards. But he believes there are many students, especially those studying ecology, who care about New Zealand's native animal and plant species.
Morgan was more than happy to pay for all the drinks it would take for the every student who turns in dead rats. He is passionate about New Zealand wildlife. He believes the university's offer will be difficult for students to refuse. It is their way of trying to get people involved in preserving wildlife.
Rats are urban pests so students can easily catch them by setting up traps in their flats.
In 2013, Morgan's anti-cat campaign was criticized since eliminating cats could have led to the increase of the rat population. The philanthropist dismissed the notion and said there was no evidence whatsoever. Morgan explained that 20 percent of rats end up as prey for cats.
Trapping rats is part of Morgan's project to make backyards in Wellington safe for native wildlife. According to a student , giving away freebies can attract people but when they find out what they have to do in order to get them, they might be taken aback or change their minds.
Morgan will announce the free drink for every rat campaign at the Hunter Lounge on March 13. A hundred traps will be prepared to hand out to students who are willing to be rat hunters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones