Georges St. Pierre Feels Better After Taking a Break from Fighting, Doesn’t Mind If Hendricks or Lawler Is Crowned Champion on UFC 171
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 12, 2014 5:54 PM EST
After vacating the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title following his debatable victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167, Georgs St. Pierre has revealed that he has never felt better than ever compared to when he was still fighting in the octagon ring.
MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks
St. Pierre told Yahoo Sports that he started feeling the pressure of his career. There is no doubt that being a champion like St Pierre entails that he will never be in a pressure-free scenario because everyone will be looking at him always as a winner. Being a champion always puts a pressure on someone like St Pierre, who had successfully defended the UFC welterweight title since 2007.
"It was just eating me alive, totally, and I couldn't go on one more second that way," St Pierre said.
After taking a break from UFC, St Pierre has been an advocate to make UFC a drug-free sport. He didn't mind losing the limelight and he settled into roles like being a UFC goodwill ambassador and a fight analyst.
Come the big fight on March 15 for the welterweight title he vacated in December, St Pierre said that he will try to watch the fight. He said that he wouldn't feel any blues and wretchedness when a new welterweight champion is declared.
"This was my choice, it is what I wanted, so I won't feel bad at all to see Hendricks or Lawler crowned champion," said the 32-year-old Canadian mixed martial artist.
Speaking to The Canadian Press via Sportsnet.ca, St Pierre said that it is still anybody's game. "It's a fight where anything can happen," he said. "Both fighters can put each other to sleep," he added. However, who has the edge? St. Pierre thinks that Hendricks has an advantage over Lawler.
"I believe Hendricks has the edge in this fight because I believe he will come more well-prepared with his team and he's got an edge in the grappling department," said St Pierre.
UFC 171 will take place in Dallas, Texas, on March 15, with Hendricks and Lawler starring in the main event. You may visit the official Web site of UFC to find out more about the event as well as the undercard fights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans