Georges St. Pierre Feels Better After Taking a Break from Fighting, Doesn’t Mind If Hendricks or Lawler Is Crowned Champion on UFC 171
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 12, 2014 5:54 PM EST
After vacating the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title following his debatable victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167, Georgs St. Pierre has revealed that he has never felt better than ever compared to when he was still fighting in the octagon ring.
MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks
St. Pierre told Yahoo Sports that he started feeling the pressure of his career. There is no doubt that being a champion like St Pierre entails that he will never be in a pressure-free scenario because everyone will be looking at him always as a winner. Being a champion always puts a pressure on someone like St Pierre, who had successfully defended the UFC welterweight title since 2007.
"It was just eating me alive, totally, and I couldn't go on one more second that way," St Pierre said.
After taking a break from UFC, St Pierre has been an advocate to make UFC a drug-free sport. He didn't mind losing the limelight and he settled into roles like being a UFC goodwill ambassador and a fight analyst.
Come the big fight on March 15 for the welterweight title he vacated in December, St Pierre said that he will try to watch the fight. He said that he wouldn't feel any blues and wretchedness when a new welterweight champion is declared.
"This was my choice, it is what I wanted, so I won't feel bad at all to see Hendricks or Lawler crowned champion," said the 32-year-old Canadian mixed martial artist.
Speaking to The Canadian Press via Sportsnet.ca, St Pierre said that it is still anybody's game. "It's a fight where anything can happen," he said. "Both fighters can put each other to sleep," he added. However, who has the edge? St. Pierre thinks that Hendricks has an advantage over Lawler.
"I believe Hendricks has the edge in this fight because I believe he will come more well-prepared with his team and he's got an edge in the grappling department," said St Pierre.
UFC 171 will take place in Dallas, Texas, on March 15, with Hendricks and Lawler starring in the main event. You may visit the official Web site of UFC to find out more about the event as well as the undercard fights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones