Georges St. Pierre Feels Better After Taking a Break from Fighting, Doesn’t Mind If Hendricks or Lawler Is Crowned Champion on UFC 171
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 12, 2014 5:54 PM EST
After vacating the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title following his debatable victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167, Georgs St. Pierre has revealed that he has never felt better than ever compared to when he was still fighting in the octagon ring.
MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks
St. Pierre told Yahoo Sports that he started feeling the pressure of his career. There is no doubt that being a champion like St Pierre entails that he will never be in a pressure-free scenario because everyone will be looking at him always as a winner. Being a champion always puts a pressure on someone like St Pierre, who had successfully defended the UFC welterweight title since 2007.
"It was just eating me alive, totally, and I couldn't go on one more second that way," St Pierre said.
After taking a break from UFC, St Pierre has been an advocate to make UFC a drug-free sport. He didn't mind losing the limelight and he settled into roles like being a UFC goodwill ambassador and a fight analyst.
Come the big fight on March 15 for the welterweight title he vacated in December, St Pierre said that he will try to watch the fight. He said that he wouldn't feel any blues and wretchedness when a new welterweight champion is declared.
"This was my choice, it is what I wanted, so I won't feel bad at all to see Hendricks or Lawler crowned champion," said the 32-year-old Canadian mixed martial artist.
Speaking to The Canadian Press via Sportsnet.ca, St Pierre said that it is still anybody's game. "It's a fight where anything can happen," he said. "Both fighters can put each other to sleep," he added. However, who has the edge? St. Pierre thinks that Hendricks has an advantage over Lawler.
"I believe Hendricks has the edge in this fight because I believe he will come more well-prepared with his team and he's got an edge in the grappling department," said St Pierre.
UFC 171 will take place in Dallas, Texas, on March 15, with Hendricks and Lawler starring in the main event. You may visit the official Web site of UFC to find out more about the event as well as the undercard fights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6