Fire at Barangaroo Construction Site, 25-Storey High Crane at Risk of Collapsing
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 12, 2014 5:46 PM EST
Update: Fire-fighters to work overnight
A huge fire broke out at the construction site in Barangaroo, sending a pile of smoke about hundreds of meter up in the air. The Sydney Harbour fire forced firefighters to rush to Hickson Road as the basement area of the construction site was reportedly to have been caught by fire around 2 p.m.
A spokesman from the NSW Fire and Rescue told Nine MSN their crews saw "large volumes of smoke" when they arrived at the spot that happens to be under-construction. The fire size was still being investigated at the moment. No fewer than six trucks were immediately sent to the site to take control of the situation.
Sydney Morning Herald reported firefighters find it extremely difficult to reach the actual spot where the fire originated due to extreme heat coming off the basement. That is why the fire is yet to be determined. If nothing is done soon, there is every possibility that a multistory crane at the site may collapse any time now.
According to the authorities and developers of Lend Lease, every worker has been taken off the site to a safe plane. The evacuation was apparently done quite efficiently as there was no injury reported as of now. The buildings situated around the construction site have also been evacuated at the moment.
Over a hundred firefighters and 20 trucks are working onsite. The trucks are pumping gallons of water from surrounding streets and extinguishing the fire. The main priority now is to target the bottom part of the crane that has been burning since 2 p.m. According to the recent update, 2,000 office workers and 500 site workers have been evacuated from nearby buildings.
Fire and Rescue spokesman Ian Krimmer said the crane is at complete risk of collapsing if it continued to be exposed to heat. The 25-storey high crane may damage surrounding areas if it collapses, he stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More