Fire at Barangaroo Construction Site, 25-Storey High Crane at Risk of Collapsing
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 12, 2014 5:46 PM EST
Update: Fire-fighters to work overnight
A huge fire broke out at the construction site in Barangaroo, sending a pile of smoke about hundreds of meter up in the air. The Sydney Harbour fire forced firefighters to rush to Hickson Road as the basement area of the construction site was reportedly to have been caught by fire around 2 p.m.
A spokesman from the NSW Fire and Rescue told Nine MSN their crews saw "large volumes of smoke" when they arrived at the spot that happens to be under-construction. The fire size was still being investigated at the moment. No fewer than six trucks were immediately sent to the site to take control of the situation.
Sydney Morning Herald reported firefighters find it extremely difficult to reach the actual spot where the fire originated due to extreme heat coming off the basement. That is why the fire is yet to be determined. If nothing is done soon, there is every possibility that a multistory crane at the site may collapse any time now.
According to the authorities and developers of Lend Lease, every worker has been taken off the site to a safe plane. The evacuation was apparently done quite efficiently as there was no injury reported as of now. The buildings situated around the construction site have also been evacuated at the moment.
Over a hundred firefighters and 20 trucks are working onsite. The trucks are pumping gallons of water from surrounding streets and extinguishing the fire. The main priority now is to target the bottom part of the crane that has been burning since 2 p.m. According to the recent update, 2,000 office workers and 500 site workers have been evacuated from nearby buildings.
Fire and Rescue spokesman Ian Krimmer said the crane is at complete risk of collapsing if it continued to be exposed to heat. The 25-storey high crane may damage surrounding areas if it collapses, he stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone