Malaysian Flight MH370: Girl Exposes Flirty Cockpit Security Breach With MH370 Pilots; AU Criticised for Bad Journalism
By Athena Yenko | March 12, 2014 5:26 PM EST
Through A Current Affair, Jonti Roos, a Melbourne resident, revealed a "sleazy" incident with Fariq Abdul Hamid - the first officer on missing Malaysian flight MH370.
Her revelation involved a time when she and her friend were invited by two pilots, one was Mr Abdul-Hamid, in the cockpit of the plane during a flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur in 2011. This obviously constituted a cockpit security breach.
Ms Roos's revelation was supported by photos of her posing with Mr Hamid. She said they stayed inside the cockpit from takeoff through landing. The pilots even invited them to stay a few nights in Kuala Lumpur.
"[They were] possibly a little bit sleazy. They invited us, well asked us, if we could arrange our trip to stay a few extra nights," Ms Roos said.
Watch the whole interview here:
(Credit: Vanessa Aksu YouTube Page)
In Malaysia, Malaysia Airlines (MAS) released a statement saying that the company was shocked by the expose' but that MAS would rather focus with the missing plane than the allegations.
"Malaysia Airlines has become aware of the allegations being made against First Officer Fariq Abdul Hamid which we take very seriously. We are shocked by these allegations. We have not been able to confirm the validity of the pictures and videos of the alleged incident. As you are aware, we are in the midst of a crisis, and we do not want our attention to be diverted," a statement by the airline said.
Some Malaysian journalists called foul and criticised the report as unethical journalism since the network chose to air the video at this very challenging time for Malaysia, especially when Mr Fariq is not around to air his side.
"It made me cringe to see the way the girls told their story. It is bad journalism, but then again Australian media is known for such media behaviour. Those who are well-aware may make a rational decision but this is not the case for people who are easily influenced. Unfortunately, there are many of them in the cyber world," the former managing editor of the New Strait Times, Nuraina Samad, told Malaysian Digest.
"The freedom of the press shouldn't be abused. The media has to be responsible," former Bernama (Malaysia's National Newswire Agency) General Manager Datuk Azman Ujang also told Malaysian Digest.
"They are taking advantage of the current situation and trying to pick on MAS. With the rapid growth of online media, this report is being widely distributed and this can be detrimental for the airlines' image," Mr Azman added.
As for Berana General Manager at present, Datuk Yong Soo Heong criticised Ms Roos's timing.
"After 9/11, airline security is becoming stricter... and it is very unlikely for pilots to invite passengers into the cockpit. The question is, why did they show the video now? Why not when the incident took place?," he said.
For Astro AWANI's managing editor Suhaimi Sulaiman, the report was worth nothing but sensationalism.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft