Malaysian Flight MH370: Girl Exposes Flirty Cockpit Security Breach With MH370 Pilots; AU Criticised for Bad Journalism
By Athena Yenko | March 12, 2014 5:26 PM EST
Through A Current Affair, Jonti Roos, a Melbourne resident, revealed a "sleazy" incident with Fariq Abdul Hamid - the first officer on missing Malaysian flight MH370.
Her revelation involved a time when she and her friend were invited by two pilots, one was Mr Abdul-Hamid, in the cockpit of the plane during a flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur in 2011. This obviously constituted a cockpit security breach.
Ms Roos's revelation was supported by photos of her posing with Mr Hamid. She said they stayed inside the cockpit from takeoff through landing. The pilots even invited them to stay a few nights in Kuala Lumpur.
"[They were] possibly a little bit sleazy. They invited us, well asked us, if we could arrange our trip to stay a few extra nights," Ms Roos said.
Watch the whole interview here:
(Credit: Vanessa Aksu YouTube Page)
In Malaysia, Malaysia Airlines (MAS) released a statement saying that the company was shocked by the expose' but that MAS would rather focus with the missing plane than the allegations.
"Malaysia Airlines has become aware of the allegations being made against First Officer Fariq Abdul Hamid which we take very seriously. We are shocked by these allegations. We have not been able to confirm the validity of the pictures and videos of the alleged incident. As you are aware, we are in the midst of a crisis, and we do not want our attention to be diverted," a statement by the airline said.
Some Malaysian journalists called foul and criticised the report as unethical journalism since the network chose to air the video at this very challenging time for Malaysia, especially when Mr Fariq is not around to air his side.
"It made me cringe to see the way the girls told their story. It is bad journalism, but then again Australian media is known for such media behaviour. Those who are well-aware may make a rational decision but this is not the case for people who are easily influenced. Unfortunately, there are many of them in the cyber world," the former managing editor of the New Strait Times, Nuraina Samad, told Malaysian Digest.
"The freedom of the press shouldn't be abused. The media has to be responsible," former Bernama (Malaysia's National Newswire Agency) General Manager Datuk Azman Ujang also told Malaysian Digest.
"They are taking advantage of the current situation and trying to pick on MAS. With the rapid growth of online media, this report is being widely distributed and this can be detrimental for the airlines' image," Mr Azman added.
As for Berana General Manager at present, Datuk Yong Soo Heong criticised Ms Roos's timing.
"After 9/11, airline security is becoming stricter... and it is very unlikely for pilots to invite passengers into the cockpit. The question is, why did they show the video now? Why not when the incident took place?," he said.
For Astro AWANI's managing editor Suhaimi Sulaiman, the report was worth nothing but sensationalism.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’