Selfiest Cities: What is the Craze all about? TIME Revealed 'Selfie Capital of the World'
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 12, 2014 3:27 PM EST
"What is the craze all about?" the question surfaced after TIME revealed on its Web site the 100 cities included in the "selfiest cities of the world."
An image posted by Oscars show host Ellen DeGeneres (bottom row, 4th L) on her Twitter account shows movie stars, including Jared Leto, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep (bottom row L-3rd L), Channing Tatum, Julia Roberts, Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt, Lupita Nyong'o, Angelina Jolie (top row L-R) and Bradley Cooper (bottom row, 2nd R), as well as Nyong'o's brother Peter (bottom row, R), posing for a picture taken by Cooper at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. The self-portrait tweeted by host DeGeneres and actors taken during Hollywood's annual Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday quickly became the most shared photo ever on Twitter. Picture taken March 2, 2014.
Makati, Philippines was dubbed as "selfie capital of the world" alongside Pasig, City with reportedly 258 selfie-takers per 100,000 people. Aside from the city of Makati, four cities from the Philippines also claimed spots on the rankings. Cebu City was on number 9 with 99, Baguio City on number 16 with 82, Iloilo on number 72 with 36 and Quezon City on number 59 with 44 selfie-takers per 100,000 people.
But, again, what is the craze all about that even Ellen DeGeneres broke record when she took a selfie shot with huge celebrities at the Oscars? Even broadcast journalist Barbara Walters associated selfie to her personal life when she called her vibrator "selfie."
In 2013, the Guardian reported how selfies became a global phenomenon. The report included Dr. Mariann Hardey, a lecturer in marketing at Durham University who specializes in digital social networks, saying that selfie is "revolutionizing" how people collect "autobiographical information" about self and friends.
For some people, they take "selfie" as a way to document their life events. It is common knowledge that celebrities love to take selfie, too. Celebrities post selfies on Instagram and share it on Twitter. Some are making it into headlines while some got hundreds and thousands of favorites and retweets.
U.S. cities dominated the "selfiest cities" rankings with four cities included on the Top 10. Manhattan, New York with 208 grabbed second spot and Miami, Florida with 155 grabbed third, while Anaheim and Santa Ana, Calif. landed on the fourth spot with 147 selfie-takers per 100,000 people.
Here is the list of the Top 10 "selfiest cities of the world" according to TIME:
1. Makati City & Pasig, Philippines: 258 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
2. Manhattan, New York: 202 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
3. Miami, Florida: 155 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
4. Anaheim & Santa Ana, California: 147 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
5. Petaling Jaya, Malaysia: 141 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
6. Tel Aviv, Israel: 139 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
7. Manchester, England: 114 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
8. Milan, Italy: 108 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
9. Cebu City, Philippines: 99 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
10. George Town, Malaysia: 95 selfie-takers per 100,000 people
For the complete rankings, visit TIME. In total, 459 cities were included in the rankings. The Web site also included a geography that mapped out the cities and its selfie-takers through the use of maps and yellow dots.
From Jan. 28-Feb. 2, 2014 and Mar. 3-7, 2014, TIME downloaded photos from Instagram. The Web site investigated the geography of selfie-taking through building a database of roughly 400,000 Instagram photos that has geographic coordinates with the tag "selfie."
"While the metric of "people who take selfies per capita" is far from a perfect measure, it was far and away the most comprehensive means of comparing the 459 world cities that turned up at least 25 individual users in the database," the Web site reported.
TIME, however, had to run informal tests to make sure that the selfies are legitimate due to the fact that not all selfie-tagged photos were actual selfies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan