Google Nexus 6 Aug-Sept 2014 Release Date Confirmed as Verizon Likely to Pick Up Nexus 5 Soon?
By Erik Pineda | March 12, 2014 3:09 PM EST
The Google Nexus 6 release date is more likely to happen in the second half of 2014, as hinted by Android chief Sundar Pichai, and the latest clue - U.S. telco Verizon is reportedly set to issue the LG-built Nexus 5 rather belatedly.
Screenshot from YouTube Video
It appears that the same report took its cue from Verizon's recent decision to offer the LTE Nexus 7 2013 model last February. The move seems suggestive of the service provider's willingness to bring the Nexus mobile phone experience to its American subscribers.
If the lead pans out into something more concrete, then Verizon will make many Android fans using its communication infra very happy. Strangely, the company decided to skip the Nexus 4 too so having the Nexus 5 around, even at a very late stage, should be a welcome development for Verizon customers.
Already a steal for gadget deal hunters out there, the Nexus 5 on Verizon is likely to further pull down its suggested retail price with a mandatory contract agreement.
However, the more exciting aspect of the news is the likelihood that the Nexus 5 successor, the Nexus 6, is heading to the market very soon. As analysts would always reason, when a soon-to-exit device is becoming more visible and getting interesting significant price cuts, then the replacement should be just around the corner.
The Nexus 6, according to Pichai, is a shoo-in for rollout in the second half of 2014. The Google VP ruled out the possibility of an earlier unwrapping for the next Nexus mobile phone while speaking at the recently concluded 2014 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain.
Speculations abound on when the exact date that the handset is coming out. Many believe a preview is shaping up in time for Google's annual I/O Developers Conference that the tech giant will stage from June 24 to 25 in San Francisco, California.
Though there are whispers that Google will instead preview Android 4.5 via the event and allow a glimpse of first device to showcase the vanilla mobile OS. The more popular guess is Nexus 8, which replaces the Nexus 7.
If true, then the Google flagship phone could silently hit the Google Play Store, going live in the weeks that will follow the I/O gathering.
The target release date for the Nexus 6 is between August and September 2014, bearing a 64-bit quad-core Snapdragon chip, a 5.2-inch screen with Q-HD display panel and a 16MP rear cam shooter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft