Yay or Nay? New Zealand Decides Fate of Redesigning National Flag in 3 Years
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 12, 2014 2:37 PM EST
To drop the Union Jack or not. New Zealanders have been given three years to decide on the matter concerning their national flag.
And despite 2014 being an election year, opponents of Prime Minister John Key promised to follow through with the plan even if they managed to oust him in the national elections scheduled in September.
New Zealand's flag-bearRE
New Zealand's flag-bearer Adam Hallflag (R), leads his country's contingent during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, March 7, 2014. REUTERS/Alexander Demianchuk
New Zealand's national symbol includes Britain's Union Jack in the top left corner along with the Southern Cross star constellation. Not few have blasted the design does not in any way display the independence of the country from former coloniser Britain.
"We should be represented by a flag that is distinctly New Zealand's," Mr Key said on Tuesday.
He added the present design of the national flag "remains dominated by the Union Jack in a way that we ourselves are no longer dominated by the United Kingdom."
Albeit a conservative Prime Minister, Mr Key has, on countless times whenever asked about his preferred design always, said that he wanted a silver fern flag. However, he has likewise said he is open to all options and is most willing to them before a planned referendum.
The white fern on a black background is already being applied by many of New Zealand's national sports teams.
The process to change the design of New Zealand's flag will involve two separate plebiscites, one to determine if a change was wanted and the second to decide on the preferred replacement.
Ironically, Prince William, Catherine and Prince George will fly to New Zealand in April. Will it then be the last that the Kiwis see of the British Empire in New Zealand?
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports