Yay or Nay? New Zealand Decides Fate of Redesigning National Flag in 3 Years
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 12, 2014 2:37 PM EST
To drop the Union Jack or not. New Zealanders have been given three years to decide on the matter concerning their national flag.
And despite 2014 being an election year, opponents of Prime Minister John Key promised to follow through with the plan even if they managed to oust him in the national elections scheduled in September.
New Zealand's flag-bearRE
New Zealand's flag-bearer Adam Hallflag (R), leads his country's contingent during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, March 7, 2014. REUTERS/Alexander Demianchuk
New Zealand's national symbol includes Britain's Union Jack in the top left corner along with the Southern Cross star constellation. Not few have blasted the design does not in any way display the independence of the country from former coloniser Britain.
"We should be represented by a flag that is distinctly New Zealand's," Mr Key said on Tuesday.
He added the present design of the national flag "remains dominated by the Union Jack in a way that we ourselves are no longer dominated by the United Kingdom."
Albeit a conservative Prime Minister, Mr Key has, on countless times whenever asked about his preferred design always, said that he wanted a silver fern flag. However, he has likewise said he is open to all options and is most willing to them before a planned referendum.
The white fern on a black background is already being applied by many of New Zealand's national sports teams.
The process to change the design of New Zealand's flag will involve two separate plebiscites, one to determine if a change was wanted and the second to decide on the preferred replacement.
Ironically, Prince William, Catherine and Prince George will fly to New Zealand in April. Will it then be the last that the Kiwis see of the British Empire in New Zealand?
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Too Much Blow for Mourning Families as Rebels Steal Bodies; Complete Passenger. Crew List Released
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russia’s Putin World’s Getting Small, Pitted Against Global Leaders
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- How to Deal With Slackers at the Office
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People