ABC, Disney President Anne Sweeney to Step Down: Fighting with Disney CEO?
By Annie Dee | March 12, 2014 2:00 PM EST
Ranked as the Most Powerful Woman in TInselton by The Hollywood Reporter and President of the Disney/ABC Television Group, Anne Sweeney recently announced she is set to leave her position on January 15 and go back to her roots as a director.
isney's TV chief Anne Sweeney poses for Reuters in her Burbank, California office November 15, 2010./REUTERS
Sweeney, 56 currently manages powerful television networks ABC, ABC Family and Disney Channel, as well as Disney's radio, publishing, television stations and more other assets. No wonder she was hailed as the most powerful woman in the media for five consecutive years.
While Sweeney simply claimed she desires to move on to the next chapter in her career as the main reason for her stepping down as the President of ABC and Disney, some are speculating her move is political.
The recent underperformance of ABC, the rising prominence are both said to be significant factors behind this move. However, the most influencial factor is the fact that Anne Sweeney was left out of the race towards becoming the next Disney CEO as iger steps down next year.
"Disney is at an inflection point where the ABC brand/assets are taking a decisive backseat to the ESPN and Disney brands - in that light the management transition while not expected is not overly surprising," said BTIG analyst Richard Greenfield.
Even though Sweeney is highly respected as the most powerful woman in Hollywood, the same respect is not extended to her by Disney itself. Back in 2009, Iger made the decision to swap the positions held by then Chief Financial Officer, Tom Staggs and then Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, Jay Rasulo so that both can become likely candidates for the CEO position or Iger's successor. Anne Sweeney was not given the same chance and even though she was considered a dark horse in this race, her chances of becoming one were not promising.
Asked whether the bid for the CEO position could have been the real reason behind this stepping down, Sweeney denied this vehemently. "That wasn't a job I wanted to pursue," said Sweeney. "I know what drives me. I have seen firsthand what [the job] is and he [Iger] has done it in the most spectacular way. What drives me now is getting closer to or being immersed in the creative process."
No matter her reasons, it is going to be exciting to see the projects directed by her in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff