ABC, Disney President Anne Sweeney to Step Down: Fighting with Disney CEO?
By Annie Dee | March 12, 2014 2:00 PM EST
Ranked as the Most Powerful Woman in TInselton by The Hollywood Reporter and President of the Disney/ABC Television Group, Anne Sweeney recently announced she is set to leave her position on January 15 and go back to her roots as a director.
isney's TV chief Anne Sweeney poses for Reuters in her Burbank, California office November 15, 2010./REUTERS
Sweeney, 56 currently manages powerful television networks ABC, ABC Family and Disney Channel, as well as Disney's radio, publishing, television stations and more other assets. No wonder she was hailed as the most powerful woman in the media for five consecutive years.
While Sweeney simply claimed she desires to move on to the next chapter in her career as the main reason for her stepping down as the President of ABC and Disney, some are speculating her move is political.
The recent underperformance of ABC, the rising prominence are both said to be significant factors behind this move. However, the most influencial factor is the fact that Anne Sweeney was left out of the race towards becoming the next Disney CEO as iger steps down next year.
"Disney is at an inflection point where the ABC brand/assets are taking a decisive backseat to the ESPN and Disney brands - in that light the management transition while not expected is not overly surprising," said BTIG analyst Richard Greenfield.
Even though Sweeney is highly respected as the most powerful woman in Hollywood, the same respect is not extended to her by Disney itself. Back in 2009, Iger made the decision to swap the positions held by then Chief Financial Officer, Tom Staggs and then Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, Jay Rasulo so that both can become likely candidates for the CEO position or Iger's successor. Anne Sweeney was not given the same chance and even though she was considered a dark horse in this race, her chances of becoming one were not promising.
Asked whether the bid for the CEO position could have been the real reason behind this stepping down, Sweeney denied this vehemently. "That wasn't a job I wanted to pursue," said Sweeney. "I know what drives me. I have seen firsthand what [the job] is and he [Iger] has done it in the most spectacular way. What drives me now is getting closer to or being immersed in the creative process."
No matter her reasons, it is going to be exciting to see the projects directed by her in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015