Winter Paralympics Report: Australian Skier Disqualified
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 12, 2014 1:40 PM EST
Blind Australian skier Melissa Perrine got disqualified from the super-combined event in the Winter Paralympics held at Sochi. Melissa was wearing a visor fitted to her helmet with blue duct tape in the women's vision impaired category on Tuesday.
Steve Graham, Australia's head coach confirmed the news stated, Melissa wore the visor to stop light shining in her eyes during slalom run, but competitors are not allowed to wear such things in the tournament.
Graham further said, "She did it about a month ago in one of the World Cups because the sun was really bright, and it went straight into her eyes,"
"Nothing was said then. So they decided to do it today."
Graham further stated he was not aware of the fact that Perrine and her guide Andrew had already taken the decision to wear the visor during the game.
"I didn't know until they got to the finish line that they were using it. I was fairly sure of the rule so when they discussed it about a month ago I said, 'make sure you know what the rule is'. So it's a shared responsibility for sure.
"I don't think they looked into it - obviously they didn't. I should have probably looked into it a bit more thoroughly."
The decision was announced around two hours after the end of the game when Perrine had already left the circuit and returned to the athletes' village.
Graham further made it clear it was futile to contest the jury because the rules were already laid out. He further mentioned that some unofficial sources informed the jury about the visor.
"The jury have someone monitoring equipment when they finish, they saw it."
Perrine completed the slalom race in the second position, 1.87 seconds behind Russia's Aleksandra Frantceva.
This would have increased the chance to win a medal as she reached into the Super-G category of the event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools