India, US Can Achieve a Lot Together: Barack Obama
By Rama Mohan | March 11, 2014 11:35 PM EST
U.S. President Barack Obama gestures while talking (Reuters)
The US President also wished Jaishankar all success in his duties. "The presentation of credentials is a traditional ceremony that marks the formal beginning of an Ambassador's service in Washington," a White House statement said.
The ceremony was closed to the media. However, the Emabassy of India released a statement and said, "President Obama warmly welcomed Ambassador Jaishankar to Washington and wished him success in his responsibilities as India's next Ambassador to the United States."
Subrahmanyam Jaishankar has been in the US since last December and strived to put back the India-US ties on track after the episode of diplomatic row over the arrest of Devyani Khobragade, India's Consul General in New York.
Jaishankar is said to have used his wide contacts in the Washington bureaucracy to defuse the crisis over the 12 December 2013 arrest of Devyani and strip search on her. Indian had protested vehementlly over the incident.
Jaishankar has served three years as the first secretary and handled political affairs at the Indian embassy in Washington from 1985 to 1988 .
On his turn, Jaishankar assured the US President to expand key pillars of the bilateral relationship including economic relations and trade ties, defence and security, energy, science and technology and global issues.
Prior to this assignment, Jaishankar was the Indian Ambassador in China. The bureaucrat has also served as India's Ambassador to Czech Republic, High Commissioner to Singapore and Head of Americas Division in the Indian External Affairs Ministry.
Jaishankar has three decades of diplomatic experience. He joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1977. Jaishankar is married to Kyoko Jaishankar and they have two sons and a daughter.
The US First Lady Michelle Obama was also present at the function.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen