Nadal, Sharapova Knocked Out at Indian Wells
By Shruthi SU | March 11, 2014 10:20 PM EST
Rafael Nadal, world no. 1 and defending champion, failed in the third round match against Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5) at the Indian Wells ATP Masters on Monday. It was a day of upsets as another defending champion, Maria Sharapova, was also knocked out of the women's singles by Italian qualifier Camila Giorgi.
Nadal suffered his second loss this year after the defeat in Melbourne to Stanislas Wawrinka. He was crowned the winner in Doha and Rio coming into this tournament but the Spaniard could not manage to get his hands on the title like he did in 2007, 2009 and 2013.
"I wanted to play very well here," Nadal said after the match. "I had good success in this tournament in the past, a tournament I always feel good about.
"When you are pushed to the limit, these things happen. You can lose. I lost today. Congratulations [Dolgopolov]. He played better than me. That's it. Life continues.
"It's impossible to be in the final of a tournament every single week. I did it for the first three tournaments of the year that I played. Today was an accident. I lost.
The 27-year-old played down any health concerns that might have caused the defeat, and plainly said he would like to keep this loss behind and would rest ahead of the Miami Masters.
"Forget about the back. I don't want to talk about the back anymore because my back is fine. The bad feelings were with my forehand and backhand," Nadal told reporters. "I'm going to try to rest for a few days and be fresh mentally, and I hope to be ready for Miami."
Meanwhile, Dolgopolov was elated to beat the champion. "I feel great, I mean, as after every win, of course," the 25-year-old said. "This one was bigger, and I beat the defending champion, number one in the world. I guess I just need to enjoy this evening and forget about it tomorrow and try to compete the rest of the tournament. I'm still in."
Dolgopolov will next face Italy's Fabio Fognini who beat France's Gael Monfils 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 earlier in the day.
In other news from Monday, four-time Indian Wells champion Roger Federer crushed Russia's Dmitry Tursunov in straight sets 7-6 (7), 7-6 (2). Federer said he feels like he is back in his elements on the court finally.
"Now I feel like I'm in a good place. Zen on the court," Federer said. "I know what my solid level is. Even if I won six and six today, I just feel like I was calm and served for the set -- OK, got broken, still managed to stay calm."
Meanwhile, in the women's singles, Sharapova crashed out of the tournament suffering defeat at the hands of Giorgi 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.
"I did not play a good match at all, and I started very poorly," the Russian admitted. "I'd never played against her, but she's someone that doesn't give you much rhythm."
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet